Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm currently shopping around for a clutch replacement on my stock SVT Focus considering it has 70K miles on it. It has not given me any troubles but I'm sure it will in the near future (hence able to shop around). So. I checked out ClutchMasters Stage I... any comments from users would be helpful on this clutch. And ... I have NO INTENTIONS of doing this swap myself.... and I can't seem to find any type of quote online on service hours required to do the swap (wanna find a decent $ so im not ripped of... but still get quality work). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I dunno about the Clutchmasters clutch, but I got a Spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel package deal. The clutch is great...Only problems were a bit of a shudder on taking off for a while after installation (but that could have been my driving as I had to adapt to the different feel) and the chatter at idle.
The flywheel makes a huge difference in how the car revs. I drive my cousin's SVT often and I notice how long it takes for the revs to drop back to idle after taking the car out of gear, or sitting still and revving.
I dunno, if you're looking to get a flywheel as well, but I'd definitely do both at the same time.
I think I paid $200 for installation, but I could be wrong on that figure.

Also, check out this thread for more clutch/flywheel reviews.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have always used Spec and have yet to have an issue. The stg2 feels alittle heavier than stock but has much better feedback where as I always felt the stock clutch was to light and numb feeling, I could barely tell when it would engage. From my experience, Spec all the way.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
im using a Luk set and its basically the same as the factory clutch. It seems like everyone likes spec clutches, i had a clutchmasters stage 1 and flywheel on for about 2 weeks until it went cus it wasnt installed properly. and it cost me about $600+ for the install, every mechanic told me it was a 6+ hour job.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I dunno about the Clutchmasters clutch, but I got a Spec stage 1 clutch and flywheel package deal. The clutch is great...Only problems were a bit of a shudder on taking off for a while after installation (but that could have been my driving as I had to adapt to the different feel) and the chatter at idle.
The flywheel makes a huge difference in how the car revs. I drive my cousin's SVT often and I notice how long it takes for the revs to drop back to idle after taking the car out of gear, or sitting still and revving.
I dunno, if you're looking to get a flywheel as well, but I'd definitely do both at the same time.
I think I paid $200 for installation, but I could be wrong on that figure.

Also, check out this thread for more clutch/flywheel reviews.
It for sure wasn't $200...my car was still under warranty and I got to do it myself at the dealership...hehe....and I think it books for maybe 7 or 8 hours it wasn't to bad of a job just a lot of crap in the way...so your talking about $700 for install...I'd try to do it at a dealer or a shop that's done a few so at least you don't have to worry about joe schmoe screwing it up....btw you need to get the revised flywheel for the car or any clutch you put on it will not work....just my $.02
good luck...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok, so i'm currently shopping around for a clutch replacement on my stock SVT Focus considering it has 70K miles on it. It has not given me any troubles but I'm sure it will in the near future (hence able to shop around). So. I checked out ClutchMasters Stage I... any comments from users would be helpful on this clutch. And ... I have NO INTENTIONS of doing this swap myself.... and I can't seem to find any type of quote online on service hours required to do the swap (wanna find a decent $ so im not ripped of... but still get quality work). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I would go with a stage2 depending how you drive...It usually takes me between 3-5hrs[wrenchin] . if you dont want to do the work just drive around and find a good local trans shop or even brakemasters. And i get clutches and flywheels from R1 concepts and ive had no problems with them there a upcomeing company that has good products... or go with (spec). if your interested i can find out the price with shipping if your lookeng to compare prices.[thumb]

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just got mine done. And I found out that you have to replace the flywheel to. Cause any new clutch wont fit up to the old flywheel. It was a faulty design from ford is what i was told. So shop for a new flywheel too. Or a kit. Either way you have to get both. Mine ended up costing 1720 for everything. I got a Luk clutch and fidinza flywheel... I think. Good luck let me know what you find!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just got mine done. And I found out that you have to replace the flywheel to. Cause any new clutch wont fit up to the old flywheel. It was a faulty design from ford is what i was told. So shop for a new flywheel too. Or a kit. Either way you have to get both. Mine ended up costing 1720 for everything. I got a Luk clutch and fidinza flywheel... I think. Good luck let me know what you find!
are you kidding $1,720.........who skrewed you over????

·
Registered
545 Posts
It for sure wasn't $200...my car was still under warranty and I got to do it myself at the dealership...hehe....and I think it books for maybe 7 or 8 hours it wasn't to bad of a job just a lot of crap in the way...so your talking about $700 for install...I'd try to do it at a dealer or a shop that's done a few so at least you don't have to worry about joe schmoe screwing it up....btw you need to get the revised flywheel for the car or any clutch you put on it will not work....just my $.02
good luck...
Actually I think it was $200 cause I work at the dealership that did it. I just talked to one of the mechanics, and he did it one day after work, or maybe on a Saturday. Cost me $40 for a brake job yesterday, too.
I love working at the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback from everybody... So basically I'm looking for a Spec clutch (Stage 2 preferably) with a replacement flywheel kit. Considering i unfortunately DO NOT work at a dealership ( my 2 friends who do half-ass everything they do.... hence not asking them to do it) I'm looking to spend $700 on labor. Correct me if I'm wrong... and if you have more insight please do inform. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the feedback from everybody... So basically I'm looking for a Spec clutch (Stage 2 preferably) with a replacement flywheel kit. Considering i unfortunately DO NOT work at a dealership ( my 2 friends who do half-ass everything they do.... hence not asking them to do it) I'm looking to spend $700 on labor. Correct me if I'm wrong... and if you have more insight please do inform. Thanks again for the help!
if you were in cali i would do it for $375 + parts......[wrenchin]

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a feeling I did get screwed but I got it done right and by a good mechanic. I just hope it was worth the penny I spent on it with the shop I did go to.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
The Fidanza flywheel will not work with the LuK clutch. I just changed mine over this weekend with the LuK kit. You can buy the LuK kit with flywheel and everything needed for under $500 shipped on ebay. They are out of Brea, CA.

The new TSB clutch is 9 7/16" which is 7/16" larger then the old crappy clutch and flywheel so you can't interchange the two.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya, I dont remember what flywheel it was that got put on. Im thinking it was a Luk clutch/flywheel kit. But I know they really got me on labor. I didnt want to do it myself cause I had no clue how to do it and didnt want to screw something up with no fall back. At least if its screwed up now I can blame it on the shop! hahah

You put on the Luk clutch and flywheel kit? How do you like it?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
It grabs like a SOB. I redline shifted to 2nd and I could of sworn I broke my axles LOL.

·
Registered
385 Posts
lol yaa....at first mine grabed to much in my opinion. You only had like a quarter inch of play in the peddle ya know. Now mine is much better cause it is more broke in I think. I can chirp the tires shifting into second but cant quite keep it going. Just need to do more mods! hahah second gear is crazy in the SVT I think.

How long have you had your clutch now?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can chirp the tires shifting into second with my stock '03 SVTF, stock clutch, with 110k miles on it :) Not something I do often, however...

·
Registered
385 Posts
ya.... Mine is stock besides the new clutch and flywheel. Iv been planning for more but that clutch killed me! Anyone have problems with the flywheel designed wrong on the 03 or 04 model?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
ya.... Mine is stock besides the new clutch and flywheel. Iv been planning for more but that clutch killed me! Anyone have problems with the flywheel designed wrong on the 03 or 04 model?
Yeah it appeared that my clutch and pressure plate were still fine. Hell I had a lot of friction material left on my clutch, just the flywheel is what failed I guess, It was too smooth so my clutch was just slipping against it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts