Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got some questions here, I'm pretty new to forum stuff so if this ain't in the right place or all that I'm sorry :/ I got an 01 Zx3, the 2.0 dual cam n ur regular old 5 spd in it. My clutch is on its very last leg and I'm at 168K on the car, I have no clue when or if the clutch/flywheel has been done previously and my main question here is, if the flywheel looks alright, is there any harm in just putting in my clutch set? Or do you recommend new/resurfacing? I'm not sure what my flywheel looks like this is just a what if scenario, I'll be tearing it apart on saturday

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Is no what if, resurface at minimum. It's like $15-$30 and will make sure the new clutch grips correctly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Some like the duratecs have a dual mass flywheel that NEEDS to be replaced, std. type resurfacing is the requirement unless too worn for that.

Going without would halve clutch life at best, assuming some typical wear to the flywheel surface.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll be on the safe side and buy a flywheel new throw it all in at once, really dont wanna have to mess with the thing until I start modding stuff

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^^^ Some like the duratecs have a dual mass flywheel that NEEDS to be replaced, std. type resurfacing is the requirement unless too worn for that.

Going without would halve clutch life at best, assuming some typical wear to the flywheel surface.

But we're in the zetec section ...

I think I'll be on the safe side and buy a flywheel new throw it all in at once, really dont wanna have to mess with the thing until I start modding stuff

Why?
Your engine was factory balanced with the flywheel in the car now. A new FW may disrupt that balance slightly ... not that a resurface won't. But you're better off resurfacing the one you have now than buying new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to disagree. Buying a new flywheel ($65-$75 or so) is in my opinion, money well spent. Not only for a new face, but new teeth.

The factory doesn't balance every engine. The rotating assembly for every engine is "within specs" and simply sent down the line to be assembled. No way in hell is it feasible to start cutting grams off here and there. These are production engines, not racing engines.

This type of repair is not something I'd enjoy doing over and over. The peace of mind of a new flywheel is worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
iminhell - just tryin' to avoid confusion.

As folks read around the forum they'll see conflicting advice, making it clear that dual mass/duratec needs replacement while std./zetec can be resurfaced was my intent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Resurfacing at a proper machine shop should be the minimum, but price permitting it is best to replace the flywheel as well. This service is also a good opportunity to replace the engine rear seal, and the input shaft seal on the transmission.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts