87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 SEL, Mileage 50709

what was done:

1 BV6Z*7B546*D CLUTCH ASY
1 CA6Z*7A508*E CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE
1 XT*11*QDC FLUID TRANSMISSION
1 EV6Z*7052*A SEAL ASY - OIL

All covered under warranty. The car is driving better than it ever has...smooth as butter. That's the good news.

Bad news is after asking for an alignment found out I needed and upper control arm.

1 BV6Z*5500*E ARM ASY - REAR SUSPENSION

Part cost 59.00. Labor 280.00!
total cost 339.00!

I find it highly unusual that I would need this part after only 50,000 miles, but having just bought new firestone tires 2 months ago with lifetime alignment, and being told by the tire shop that they can't fix the rear camber, I don't want them to be ruined because of bad camber/ alignment issues. Had to be fixed.

All told the Ford dealership handled things very well and my service Manager was very friendly and professional throughout the process.

I'm not ready to give up on this car, and now that it is driving like new again I hope to have it for several more years to come.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Awesome. always good to hear positive stories.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Do you drive the DCT?
Why the clutch it's under warranty and the upper control arm... Don't?
You can always get the OEM $59 part and have an independent mechanic to make the job and save some money...

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
Clutch Slave cylinder tells me MTX. What was the initial issue with shifting?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I don't think SELs were ever offered in manual. Also, this TSB wouldn't apply to a manual either.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I don't think SELs were ever offered in manual. Also, this TSB wouldn't apply to a manual either.
In the U.S. no SEL manuals, but in Canada they did sell an SEL with a manual, though not likely to be in Florida even used.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
same issue as most of the DCT's from 2012 models. Hesitates and shudders when accelerating. More than it should.

550 rpms of clutch slip, shaft seals leaking onto bell housing and clutch levers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you drive the DCT?
Why the clutch it's under warranty and the upper control arm... Don't?
You can always get the OEM $59 part and have an independent mechanic to make the job and save some money...
I doubt I would saved all that much money having another mechanic install it. And warranties usually don't cover things related to tires/suspension.

It does seem odd that the entire control arm needed replaced, and not just some bushings...but I am pretty ignorant when it comes to suspension and things of that nature. And again, most of the cost was labor and not the part.

I have read that this is a fairly common issue with ford focus, even mk1 and mk2 models, as well as F series trucks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The bushings in the control arms haven't been a replaceable item in any of the Focus models. In prev. versions there WAS a replacement upper arm for Wagons with camber out of spec. (too much), haven't heard yet of a Ford one like that for any other model.

CunFFS13 could have read closer & noticed the mileage, at 50,000 it's out of the full warranty period.

The "slave cyl." description does sound odd, but I wouldn't know what names they might use for all the parts of the clutch actuator system (dual).

Healthy labor total, I hope that includes the alignment?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Mine is in the shop today, for reprogramming the xmission...I just want the clutch plates replaced, but Ford & dealer say it needs programming first.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got my car back this afternoon, the xmission is reprogrammed, but still fails...the rebuild parts have been ordered, but will not be here until 08 September at the earliest :-( .....
So I'm stuck with a messed up xmission until then :-(

At least I'm in queue for repairs

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my car back this afternoon, the xmission is reprogrammed, but still fails...the rebuild parts have been ordered, but will not be here until 08 September at the earliest :-( .....

Good luck with your repairs. I had the reprogram done as well and knew right away that it made absolutely zero difference to the DCT performance.

Never had the transmission malfunction indicator turn on though...that's actually the first time iv'e seen that.

I too had to wait several weeks for the clutch replacement due to transmission techs in the service department having a backlog of repairs. [?|]

Between the fiesta and the focus they have job security for the next 5 years at least [giddy]

·
Registered
5,887 Posts

I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Meagan:

thank you, I will do so later today or over the weekend

·
Registered
80 Posts
Transmission Shudder

I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan
I have sent you a p.m. regarding a similar experience with my 2014 Focus SE.
Thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Issues worsened with lurching and grinding noises

I have had my Focus for about a year and a half. I did learn how to drive it like a stick with manual transmission and it did okay. Recently though, my wife took a short trip(about 150 miles) and after she returned I got in the driver seat and after taking off as I normally do, the car began to lurch and buck with a louder than usual grinding/low frequency vibration that went along with the bucking and lurching. This behavior continued while driving straight, turning corners, and taking off from a stop.
I have had it back to the dealership several times for noises related to the transmission and they have retuned it and checked it out. The last time they did not take it into the shop, rather the tech took a ride with me. all I got is that this is normal for the car to run this way.
I strongly disagree and would like to have the car fixed properly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had my Focus for about a year and a half. I did learn how to drive it like a stick with manual transmission and it did okay. Recently though, my wife took a short trip(about 150 miles) and after she returned I got in the driver seat and after taking off as I normally do, the car began to lurch and buck with a louder than usual grinding/low frequency vibration that went along with the bucking and lurching. This behavior continued while driving straight, turning corners, and taking off from a stop.
I have had it back to the dealership several times for noises related to the transmission and they have retuned it and checked it out. The last time they did not take it into the shop, rather the tech took a ride with me. all I got is that this is normal for the car to run this way.
I strongly disagree and would like to have the car fixed properly.
You need to take it to a different dealership. They should be doing the latest TCM update with the diagnostics, then running it and checking for it being in/out of spec. My clutches were ordered on Friday. The service advisor wasn't the least bit surprised by my concern. They acted like it was 'normal' for these cars to have trans issues, not the other way around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts