Votes: 4 50.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the "reviews of your clutch" thread and the chatter sounds like it is pretty bad. How bad is it though? The ticking from the lifters is pretty annoying, is the clutch going to be louder than that? I have a Fidanza that I got from SVt Salvage a long time ago and I am thinking about getting a CM Stg3 or 4. I'd like to get the quietest one I can get that still grabbs better than the stock one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
607 Posts
its the flywheel that will chatter.. You won't notice the clutch.

My clutchnet flywheel chatters in the higher RPM's in 1st but, as soon as I get going my exhuast takes over in the sound department. In fact the only time I ever notice my flywheel chatter is is from 1st. I am sure it adds more noise to an already noisey car but, I like it[:D]

·
Registered
607 Posts
b/c it doesn't damping like our stock dual mass flywheel.. The stocker is designed to be much more gentle on the car as well as reduce noise/vibration 2 things I don't mind

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the rattling coming from the tranny input shaft? That's very odd that it would vibrate hard enough to make the car rattle...

·
Registered
607 Posts
its not a rattle but, more of a chatter.. It doesn't make the whole car rattle either.. Its really not that bad for me.. Others have stressed there concern in this regard.

Under normal driving conditions the noise isn't noticeable. I can tell you the dual mass flywheel helps in easing the strain on the input shaft and the rest of the transmission but, other than that the noise to the best of my knowledge is directly related to the flywheel itself.

In regards to the clutch I'll take back what I said as I wasn't thinking about a performance based clutch (had to recount the noises in my car) During engagement with certain clutches yes you will notice a slight chatter but, once you become more familiar with the clutch it should lessen.

Again though you'll notice more from the flywheel itself if you are driving the car harder i.e. auto-x, track time. More so during deceleration at higher RPM's then running through the gears..

I hope I make more sense now... sorry for any confusion

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still wondering where the chattering is coming from. Where is the play that allows this chatter to occur? Or is it harmonics?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The rattle is coming from the flywheel because its a two piece or dual mass type like diesels use. The first ones actually have a problem and the two pieces loosen up too much (best way i can describe it) and rattle, but that rattle, if left unchecked or fixed, can cause input shaft damage resulting if you having to buy a new trans. Thats VERY pricey. if you can get Ford to fix it under the TSB, even beyond warranty, DO IT! You wont believe what these pieces cost plus labor and especially if you have to get a trans. $3057.31 is list on a new trans.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine doesn't rattle/chatter right now but I am looking to upgrade my clutch soon. People are telling me that with the aluminum flywheel they hear a chattering noise... where does this sound come from?

Thanks for the input here guys!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The dual mass flywheel is there just for that problem. When you replace that with a solid flywheel you will hear "gear" noise from the trans. Its a swap-off for the less inertia weight and quicker reving motor and noise. The two piece flywheel doesnt let those noises come through as loud.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i have the fidanza and cm stg 3 and it rattles like a bitch but u only hear it at idle windows up or down u hearit! and dont even think about using ur air conditioning cause its just embarrasing when the comprssor kicks on, the chatter is just horrific and the performance part of it is great but if i did it over i wouldnt do it take my word for it cause sitting at a red light and ur car sounds like a piece of shit! just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
351 Posts
i just had this TSB done on my car not more than 4 days ago, and the flywheel is already chattering a little bit. I'm thinking this is somewhat normal, even though when i FIRST picked up the car on Monday i heard nothing, and now i hear it faintly. I'm going to chalk it up as normal.

If it is fairly loud though, i'd get the TSB done. Other than that, I think flywheels just chatter on these cars like a bitch. And stokedSVT, i know what you're saying, mine probably wasn't half as loud as yours, and i held the clutch in at EVERY stop because i didn't want people to hear my "new" car rattling like a shitter.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm this is discouraging.... maybe I will sell my Fidanza because the car already annoys the crap out of me with it's loud solid lifters. If I had ANOTHER rattle/chatter/tap/whatever on top of that I think I'd loose it! haha

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If you just had it done and it still rattles, you may have input shaft damage. Thats one thing they are supposed to check for. if theres damage, they are supposed to replace the trans if its excessive. The DMF rattles and actually will kind of "bounce" back and forth causeing wear on the input shaft. If you decide to sell your flywheel, let me know

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought the "dual mass flywheel" had some of its weight in the flywheel and some in the pressure plate , hence the dual mass nomenclature?

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Nope, that is for the flywheel itself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, I wasn't standing over their shoulder when they were inspecting the car. But they did tell me that I may need a new tranny BEFORE they pulled it apart. And they themselves mentioned the input shaft, so I'm guessing they were concerned about it as well. At this point I just have to trust that they inspected it and it showed up ok. Otherwise what can i do you know?

By the way B16, they DID replace my clutch after I mentioned something. (earlier you looked over my item list, just keeping you up to date.)

here's to hoping that the car's in good condition and it's going to run like a champ for a LONG time.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I just hope they take care of your car like i would. If the input shaft shows wear, they should replace he trans.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had my clutch replaced at 6000 miles and it started rattling again in less than 500 miles. I've mentioned this to the SVT mechanic at my stealership and they swear that the noise is from the DMF and is "normal". I guess I've got to 50,000 miles before I have to buy my own tranny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.