Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving back from Cali and about ten miles from home the spring for my clutch pedal breaks. Not such a big deal, except I had to bring the clutch all the way up with my foot. I take it to the dealer on Monday around noon and I figure it will be done by late tuesday early wednesday. Well it's Thursday and I have to call them to see what is going on. They tell me that they had to replace the master cylinder for the clutch... not quite sure what that is. I also asked them to check on the hard start issue and that is why I still don't have my car... luckily I have good friends and roommates to shuttle me to and from work.

I don't ever ride the clutch and have no clue as to what went wrong. It was the test car on the lot that I got, could that have anything to do with it. I've got 27k milles on it now, and no real problems other than this so far, except for my dealer being slower than a sloth to fix it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The master cylinder is inside the cabin, when you press down on the clutch pedal it pushes a piston down inside the cylinder, which in turn pushes fluid through the system and into the slave cylinder, which moves the throwout bearing inside the transmission and pushes the clutch off of the flywheel, disengaging the drive.

Focus master cylinders have been known to give out, mainly because they're made of plastic and brake fluid eats away at plastic. Although typically its not as drastic as your case (clutch drops to the floor and stays there,) typically they just start leaking when its time to replace them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
yix125 said:
So I was driving back from Cali and about ten miles from home the spring for my clutch pedal breaks. Not such a big deal, except I had to bring the clutch all the way up with my foot. I take it to the dealer on Monday around noon and I figure it will be done by late tuesday early wednesday. Well it's Thursday and I have to call them to see what is going on. They tell me that they had to replace the master cylinder for the clutch... not quite sure what that is. I also asked them to check on the hard start issue and that is why I still don't have my car... luckily I have good friends and roommates to shuttle me to and from work.

I don't ever ride the clutch and have no clue as to what went wrong. It was the test car on the lot that I got, could that have anything to do with it. I've got 27k milles on it now, and no real problems other than this so far, except for my dealer being slower than a sloth to fix it.
IIRC, your's isn't the first case of a broken return spring here at FF. I doubt it's anything you did -- just chock it up to a bad spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts