Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving my 2000 zx3 the other day. just a normal drive other than my power steering hose getting a leak two days before.
anyways i pulled up to a stop light and popped it in neutral. (long light) when i went to put it in first the clutch felt extremely loose and had trouble putting the shifter in first. when i finally got it, after freaking out a little bit, the car was very hesitant to move. i smelled what i thought was the clutch burning. maybe something else down there but definitely something burning. also heard some light grinding. nothing like the grinding when you make a boo boo shifting. i made it back to my house just up the road from the incident barely and now it won't even go in gear with the car off and clutch in. but it will go in gear with the clutch out... help?

2000 zx3 w/ 132,000 miles. everything up to date and maintained other than the power steering issue. heard about clutch problems at high miles but nothing like this.[?|]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
if you have a burnt clutch and its going, it should be easier, not harder to get into gear. once ur clutch is completely gone (happened to me b4) u can slide the shifter between gears w/o depressing the clutch. sounds like something may be out of alignment. like shifter cables or something. i dunno, but it doesn't sound like the clutch is burning.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
I really think your clutch died, but I'm not really an expert on cars so Idk just what i think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is just a suggestion but sounds like it might be your clutch master cylinder you said the clutch goes to the floor really easy that would be the master cylinder not giving any back preasure to the peadle. Also with a bad master it would be hard to get it into gear cause your master cylinder can not put out enough pressure to hold the clutch open. So have it checked out message me back let me know what it is when u find out.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
check your power steering reservoir thingie. if it is totally out of fluid put some in it and try to drive the car. DONT GO FAR! if the car moves it might just be a fluke and im wrong and you get stranded away from your house. i am not sure if it works the same with the focus but my old miata (i dont want to hear it) did that to me once because all the hydraulic fluid leaked out and i lost power steering on the way home. i could change gears but the clutch wouldnt work so i had to shift by timing the rpms right and sliding it in gear. the powersteering and clutch master cylinder shared the same fluid in the miata. maby its the same with the focus.

·
Registered
744 Posts
The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir, so check your brake fluid.

It does sound more like a master cylinder than the clutch but you didn't say whether your engine was running or not. If it's running and you can switch through the gears with the clutch engaged, it sounds very much like your clutch is dumpster food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. still have yet to get it looked at. the power steering fluid/hydrolic fluid problem sounds iffy. i know that my hose is shot for my power steering reservoir. waiting on that part in the mail. but my power steering has been shot for almost a month now. maybe continued wear on that caused the imbalance in fluids. dunno. but most theories are pointing towards master cylinder presently. neeeeeeeed mooooooney. ha

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not your master cylinder, or slave cylinder. If it was bad there would be a slight leak internally or externally, which would result in a loss of hydraulic pressure and you would know the second it happened. The pedal would go to the floor and the clutch wouldn't move. I would check the cables for sure, they seem to be problematic for the mtx transmissions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yeah it might not be disengaging all the way you can try to bleed the slave cylinder or when my pedal went to the floor i shattered all the friction material off my clutch and couldnt get it in gear at all so i dont think you did that i would honestly try to bleed it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts