Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an '02 ZX3 5 speed. I've had it since 2006 and it has about 100,000 miles on it right now.

Ever since I've owned the car, it has had trouble going into reverse and 1st when I start it up. I usually have to turn the car off, put it in gear, and then start it up again.

Also, when I have the clutch to the floor, I can nudge the car forward in first gear by giving it gas. It doesn't seem to be disengaging completely.

I replaced the clutch master cylinder (it was leaking fluid inside) and bled it. It didn't fix the problem.

Today, I pulled the trans out to replace the clutch. What I found surprised me.

Someone had already replaced the stock clutch with a Centerforce dual friction clutch. There were no apparent brake fluid leaks from the clutch slave cylinder. There was some wear on the throwout bearing surface and the bearing itself was in bad shape. The clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate all appear to be in fine shape.

I already have an Exedy OEM type clutch kit from FocusSport ready to go in, as I did not expect that the existing clutch would be in good shape.

What I want to know is:

1.) Why wouldn't my clutch completely disengage?

2.) Why would somebody put a Centerforce dual friction clutch in a bone stock Focus at some point before 80,000 miles (when I bought it)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After reading the archives, this problem seems quite common. Has anybody come up with a fix for it yet?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
my guess is the slave cylinder was bad.

what probly happened was, the PO wore out the clutch, bought the centerforce because it is cheap at ford racing (but does not come with a new slave cylinder), and then replaced the clutch but used the old slave.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe that is what happened.

I put the Exedy clutch kit in and all is well now. It's strange because the slave cylinder did not appear to be leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts