Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've recently had a new clutch fitted and clutch bearing. My car will not go into gear without a fight. When the engine is switched off it will slide into gear with ease. Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

Clutch not releasing properly for the short answer.

Take it back to be fixed right.

Clutch release system might not be bled adequately, seen a few where the friction disc was put in backwards & it engages again at full pedal travel for an odd one. Was the flywheel resurfaced/replaced? That helps it work much better & last longer...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for taking time to get back to me. I only had the clutch re done and clutch bearing. There was no mention at the time of anything else what could of gone. The mechanics taken it back to have another look at it tonight. Do you think it could be something simple to fix?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Simple enough if it's just bleeding the hydraulic actuator more, without a description of the clutch pedal "feel" I can't guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It feels like a brand new clutch pedal should. No softness or nothing out of the ordinary. But what I did find when I first got the car back was the biting point on the clutch was right at the bottom (towards the floor) and as time gone on over 3 days the biting point has got higher. Ps sorry for not being able to explain the problem as clear you would like. :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If the engagement point has been moving up it's actually a good sign, could be self-bleeding a bit and/or wearing in.

Has the disengagement gotten better at the same time? It should be easier to get in gear now at a stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it's disengagement has got a little easier along the way. It's putting car into first gear & reverse gear I'm finding extremely difficult when on the move 2nd gear to 6th gear I can find. Hopefully it's self bleeding/wearing in a little as you say fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
When 1st/reverse is difficult, try 2nd or 3rd first to slow down the gears spinning in the trans.. That can help when everything is actually perfect with the clutch as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try these things. Is there any other advise you could give for me to try? or is gonna be a case of getting it to a garage? Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
IDK where you're at with it.

First post it had just been replaced & wasn't working, so in the second I said to take it back where it was done. Assumption was that the work was VERY recent, and it hadn't worked properly since.

Then you mentioned that it was working better, and post by post it seemed like it was close to normal now.

Can't try it from here, that was why the questions to try & get a feel for what was happening.

Fresh repair, not working - certainly take it back to be checked out, third in this thread implied it was there to have that done. Working OK, then no need to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah sorry for confusion. Long story short the mechanic who first done the job is ignoring my calls and dismissing me. Hence the reason I'm asking Is there anything I could do as I don't want to pay another mechanic for a job the first mechanic should of done correctly.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
From the pedal stiffness description, I doubt any extra bleeding of the release hydraulics would help.

As long as the tricks mentioned to help get it into gear work for you, hopefully it'll continue to wear in & get back to normal engagement point & more normal disengagement at a stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts