Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again, it always seems like i have the worst problems to diagnose on my focus...

the last day or two iv'e noticed my clutch seemed to be grabbing a bit higher than usual, i chalked it up to me being paranoid. today, i went to leave in the morning for my coffee (you know us New England people lol), and the clutch seemed really high, like it would grab two inches from the top. normally i would diagnose this as clutch is shot, but i had the clutch done and flywheel resurfaced at 68k when i bought the car, i now have 77k on it. that's only 9k miles! i am easy on the clutch and iv'e been driving a stick ever since i learned how to drive so its not be being stupid. any ideas? i'm at a loss and desperately need help!

note: car is a 2003 focus SE, 2.0 SPI with the iB5 manual transmission, 77k miles, well maintained. i am the second owner.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hydraulic linkage can be a bit funky on these, might have just adjusted itself up a bit.

High pedal is typical, low is one that hasn't fully adjusted yet.

As long as it grabs well, just see how it goes & don't worry too much.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydraulic linkage can be a bit funky on these, might have just adjusted itself up a bit.

High pedal is typical, low is one that hasn't fully adjusted yet.

As long as it grabs well, just see how it goes & don't worry too much.

Your the best. Unfortunately the bleeder valve broke off today and took part of the bell housing with it. Big PITA but ill see what I can do tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
WHAT!!!

Bleeder is on a stalk off of the slave cyl., sticks through a hole in the bell housing.

Were you trying to bleed to see if that would change engagement?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it might have air. It literally just came off lol. I'll jb weld it on and hope for the best. If all else fails I have a thread repair kit

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How much broke off?

If it's the whole part the bleeder screws into you're sunk, need a new slave cyl.

·
Registered
753 Posts
WOW that sucks. Have to remove transmission to get at that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Id take it but you're so far away. Consider parting it out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Someone could fix it, not a tragic bill to make the car run again.

Just trying to guess what it looks like on yours, I'm sure from what you said it's broken too far inside for access to do a drill & tap for the bleeder.

Big job to replace

Bummer

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just kidding lol. The car only has 77k on it. I'll do the repair and drive it until it gives up. Then ill buy one a few years newer and better lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ya worried me,

Remember when you got the car, hoped one "oops" wouldn't kill it off on you as too much to repair now.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol I got the car for free. So it's worth it to me. I'll update you guys as the repair continues. I blame myself for the problem in the first place (which is why I'm not angry) lol.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update on the slave cylinder. I'm still waiting for my credit card to come in so I can get it in the shop. But in the meantime I got it running. I successfully plugged the bleeder valve hole with jb weld. I went to bleed it with the line next to it and cracked it due to rust... So I replaced that line and when I was trying to get it out of the master cylinder I snapped the cheap green plastic tube leading into the master cylinder..... So I replaced my master cylinder lol. I bleed it from the line at the slave and now I have my clutch back!... For now

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clutch still grabs high. When they do the slave I'm going to have them check and/or replace the clutch with a whole new kit. I like the car (all fords for that matter)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts