Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch pedal feels rough or gritty when depressed and released. Not all the time though mostly when depressing while still in gear (ie. still moving). Still works fine and doesn't slip. I am thinking along the line of some type of shalf damage / wear either in the master cyclinder or maybe near the clutch. Any ideas and should I be worried?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good question, car has done 35,000 miles today. Brake fluid was flushed at 14,000 a month or two after I bought it. The Trans Fluid was replaced with RP at 30,000. Had a new clutch thro TSB at 12,500. I feel the need to do the brake fluid flush again as the brake are just a little soft. Also the Trans fluid was done at Ezy lube so who knows if the syncromax actually made it into the trans? I am seriously tempeted to replace it myself again after only 5000 miles just to make sure.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Check under your clutch pedal and see if there is fluid anywhere down there. Perhaps your clutch master cylinder is failing on you. Mine did and it got replaced. Also, you could check your brake fluid, as your hydraulic clutch pedal is run off that fluid.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,
A couple of days ago I looked around down near the pedal and didn't see anything suspicous, however I will do another looksie.

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
If it were the clutch master, you'd know. I have rubber mats and it left me a puddle tha said, "Hello, here I am." [wave]

·
Registered
64 Posts
This just started hapenning to me earlier. I noticed it right away that as I pressed on the clutch it felt very rough, as if it were grinding on something and the same happens when I let go the clutch. Its not doing it every single time. It has never done this to me. Anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would check the pin on the side of the clutch pedal arm that connects to the master cylinder push rod. Mine and a few others had the crummy tack weld fail, and the pin was able to wiggle around, or initially, just bend. I only had two funny feeling pedal actuations before the plastic push rod snapped off at the master cylinder, then no clutch at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
nomad327 U were right. I guess I got lucky that my push rod didn't snap like yours. But I got on the computer too late to read this. I was driving to my girls house, 4 blocks away, and that clutch pin just fell off. So today I picked up a 5/16''x1-1/2'' bolt, a washer, and nut for $.50 and its working perfect. I was so reliefed that the problem was external and not internal. I was thinking of drilling a hole through the original pin at the end of it and push a wire clip to keep it from moving. Did anyone try something different?

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you still have the old pin, I would keep it. At some point and time, you will need to replace the master cylinder, a common failure item. The rework procedure includes removing the pedal box from the firewall for access, and it's really not that bad of a job. While the clutch pedal is out of the car, it's a fairly simple job to reweld the original pin into place, and the original pin with a full weld instead of one tack makes a durable perfect repair. I paid a local guy 5 bucks to weld mine, took less than a minute on the bench. In the meantime, if you have trouble with your bolt coming loose, you can loosen it and loctite the threads, or put a drop of loctite 290 on the assembled threads. 290 will soak into an assembled joint and seal it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem on my Focus MK2 1.4. After changing the original clutch set + slave cylinder, the clutch started to feel hard-soft-hard. Even after bleeding. I don't know what would be the problem. After 5000miles, the clutch was damadged and I got a brand new LUK clutch, also changed the master cylinder. Still same - sometimes the pedal is soft - sometimes it is hard. Really mad about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts