Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found out yesterday my clutch went out, might be the slave or master cylinder there's just no hydraulics in the clutch and you would have to force it into gear unless the car was turned off. Anyone have any specific assumptions??

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Replace it. You might be better off replacing the clutch too while the transmission is out of the car.

LuK makes the best slave for our cars.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If it's dripping brake fluid out of the bellhousing the slave went, and a clutch job makes the most sense as Vince mentioned.

Master often drips, seldom fails suddenly - check for leakage as you might need that as well (and if it's leaking, replace it first assuming no drips from underneath)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fact that i have a cracked front valve gasket cover also dosent help the brake and clutch both share a reservoir and it was a in-between full and empty so i cant tell if its the cylinder is leaking or if its the valve cover

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Brake fluid & oil are very different substances, for a clutch slave to blow & leak you'd be looking at the weep hole at the bottom of the bellhousing for brake fluid drips.

It's hard to tell from a distance what's happening, with no clutch pedal action at all you shouldn't be able to "force" it into gear with the engine running unless the car was rolling.

Might try bleeding the clutch system first to get a better idea what's happening. Clutches themselves can give up in multiple ways, including jamming up so they won't fully release.

Any slippage before the current problem? Miles on the car? Did the pedal suddenly drop? Is the pedal return spring still intact?

Easy answer is replace everything, more diagnosis might find a smaller issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turned out that my clutch was completely burned out. bought it new with 100 miles on it never had the clutch changed out and found out that the clutch wasnt OEM. so 800 in parts later and my clutch is working like never before!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good to hear it's fixed!

What makes you think it wasn't "OEM"?

(OEM is a supplier part for clutch, master & slave cyls., not "Ford")

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a mecahnic buddy look at it for me he had said it wasnt oem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i had him look at it because it was so burned out and i had no clue where to find the parts

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OK, just mentioning because Luk is "stock", and I've seen mention of Sachs being sold as an OEM part as well by Ford.

Seeing a name other than "Ford" on the clutch pieces wouldn't by itself mean that they aren't original to the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts