Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I drive my vehicle while cold - which I always do, as I hypermile - the clutch will sometimes make a noise when letting out. Happens at about 1/2 or 3/4 to all the way out.

I do need to check the clutch fluid, as 40k miles is right around the corner.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Would you describe it as a "hooing" sound? That can be normal. When I still had my Ranger it did that sometimes when it was cold outside.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I couldn't hear it very clearly. How is the sound effected if you slip the clutch or dump it?

Is the sound longer if you slip the clutch more? If so I would bet it's just something on the surface of the clutch (perhaps it's glazed?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm I can hear it pretty well on YouTube on my iPhone. Heh.

I don't know. It's pretty concerning...

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
If I drive my vehicle while cold - which I always do, as I hypermile - the clutch will sometimes make a noise when letting out. Happens at about 1/2 or 3/4 to all the way out.

I do need to check the clutch fluid, as 40k miles is right around the corner.
Hi uRabbit,

Hmm...I couldn't hear much from the video, and I'd be guessing if I tried to diagnose it. Since you are apprehensive of the noise, I recommend bringing it to your dealer for inspection. They will be able to ease your worries. Let me know if I can help in any way. Have a great day! [:)]

~Natasha

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well THAT's not gonna happen. Haha. Guess I'll just ride it out. Still need to check the fluid. Forgot. >.< Need turn the car on and pump the clutch before checking it, right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not sure, check your owner's manual and it should tell you how to check your hydraulic clutch fluid. I'm not sure that you have to do anything special before checking it, it's brake fluid. While it won't hurt to bleed your clutch as preventative maintenance I'm not sure how much it will help, especially if you only hear the noise when shifting.

I'm still thinking it's a glaze or something on the clutch surface.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that would not explain why I only hear it when the engine is cold. Also, I have not heard it since I recorded this video. Tho, for a while, I was hearing it every morning.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well that would not explain why I only hear it when the engine is cold. Also, I have not heard it since I recorded this video. Tho, for a while, I was hearing it every morning.
It would explain why you haven't heard it since you recorded the video. Perhaps you wore away whatever was on the surface of the clutch?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would explain why you haven't heard it since you recorded the video. Perhaps you wore away whatever was on the surface of the clutch?
That's true. Let's hope so...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts