Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help diagnosing my clutch problem. I suspect that the clutch master on my 2002 Focus may need to be replaced. The transmission was professionally done 9mo and 13k miles ago.

1) The clutch pedal will not disengage the transmission. If you are in gear when you start the engine, the car will pull forward.

2) The clutch pedal feels soft. It goes to the floor and returns but, no real pressure at all.

3) I can not see fluid leaking on the inside of the car and I can not see anything broken there either. From under the hood the master cylinder looks dry as well.

4) The fluid reservoir was just above the minimum mark so I added fluid and bleed the line. No change, same problem. After doing this, I found lots of fresh fluid under the car. I have not been back under the car to find whare it is leaking yet but the leak is directly in the center, not on the drivers side as I would expect a master cylinder leak would be.

I would like to get some input before I tear in and replace the clutch master cylinder.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Unless you spilled a LOT while bleeding, you are describing a leaking slave cylinder.

Check for drips from the bellhousing at the end near the engine, & double check the whole hose from master to slave in the engine compartment.

Dripping from the bellhousing - bad slave. Leaking line - obv. bad line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are describing a leaking slave cylinder.
The slave cylinder should be covered by the clutch repair done 9mo and 13k miles ago (24mo 24k mile warranty) right?

But I need to check if there is fluid leaking outside the bellhousing first, like a leaky hose.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Slave is normally replaced along with the clutch, check your receipt to be sure (might not be listed separately, if a "kit" is listed).

SHOULD have been done at that time.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Usually the master leaks on the inside, down the clutch pedal.

And the symptoms sound more like a bad slave. Definitely go back to the place that did it...if they didn't replace the slave, they should have a darned good reason why.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely go back to the place that did it...if they didn't replace the slave, they should have a darned good reason why.
I need to double check for other leaks. After that I well be going back to the shop. The invoiced parts are:
1 - flywheel
1 - clutch kit

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not sure about the MTX-75, but the ib5 in my focus has an internal slave cylinder. A weak point on these assembly's is the line that goes from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder, it rusts out and blows a leak. Check that line for leakage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts