Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. This may be a stupid question but, Does any one know if a leaking clutch cylinder, effect the breaks, the reason i asy is my break peddal has felt a bit spongy over the last few weeks. and had to top up the resavoir, got round to checking the master cylinder in car, no fuid on break pedal, but slightly wet on clutch pedal. I know the both share the same resavoir in the engine bay. could air have gotten into the break lines.[bigcry]

Ford focus 2003 zetec hatch back 1.6

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Set up to lose clutch before brakes, so the answer is No.

Pull the pedal cover to see how wet, on mine it filled that up as it seeped down - replaced it before drip on floor. More there than the slightly wet arm implied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's sailor. but not sure what you mean by "pedal cover", do you mean the cylinder cover behined the pedal. also if fluid is comeing out, will that not mean air is getting in the line and into the reservoir. our does the reservoir have two compartments.
Sorry don't seem to have my thinking head on today after finding this.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nothing so complicated.

I meant the rubber cover for the pedal, if the clutch master seeps it'll run down the arm and get between the rubber cover & the steel pedal.

Fluid leak from the clutch master cyl. wouldn't allow air in until the whole system drains, as long as there's fluid in the line from the reservoir it'll just continue to drip. Even if the clutch feed line drains completely, the brakes will still get clean fluid from what remains in the reservoir. There wouldn't be much left, but the brakes would still work normally (low fluid light would be on LONG before it gets that low).

Reservoir isn't separated in parts, just has the outlet to the clutch higher than the outlet for the brakes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS Sailor, Re checked the pedal, it’s only very very slight liquid around the pedal. Nothing in the rubber; that clears that up for me. So I also need to investigate why the breaks are felling a bit spongy then. If it’s not one thing it's another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts