Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I drive a 2004 Focus SVT (Rubi) and was hoping for some assistance. Last year I had the slave cylinder replaced. Everything is working for the most part- brakes and clutch, but when I first start the vehicle and pull out of the driveway, I push down on the brakes but the car doesn't stop as it should. I have to pump the brakes for a minute and it seems to correct the issue. It only seems to be a problem when I first drive the vehicle.

I am not sure if the problem is the clutch master cylinder or if I have trapped air in the line. I don't see any leaking brake fluid oil from the CMC, so it doesn't seem to be like the problems I have read from others on the board. The best way I can explain it is I push down on the brakes and feel resistance but the car still moves. I can't push down on the brakes any further unless I release it and brake again.

Should I first try to bleed the brake fluid or would it just be better to replace the CMC? The car has about 88,000 miles and I don't believe the CMC has been replaced in the past. Any help would be appreciated. I have a few other problems with the Rubi but I figured I should fix this one first

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

I'll adjust the Title, then add a comment.

Welcome to FF!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Okay, now the clutch system does NOT affect the braking on these. The only shared component is the reservoir for the fluid and the clutch will run out of fluid before the brakes do because of the location for the clutch outlet in that reservoir.

If the brake pedal goes to the floor & will come up with pumping there are a number of possibilities.

First is air in the braking system and it needs bleeding.

Second is a leak, this needs to be checked but you didn't mention loss of fluid.

There are other possibilities involving problems with the calipers/rotors, is the braking smooth when stopping?

Does the E-brake work?

Any brake work recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding. No, there was no brake work recently. The brake pedal does not hit the floor when this happens- I can only push it 3/4 of the way before I can't push it down any further. The vehicles brakes smooth but extremely delayed. The E-brake works fine. I will check but I have not noticed any loss of brake fluid.

This only happens the first time I drive the car for the day- doesn't happen if I drive it a second or third time. After about a minute it goes back to normal. I was thinking it was air in the system, but I don't lose pressure in the pedal, it is the exact opposite. It feels like there is too much pressure in the pedal and I can't push it all the way down.

I was assuming the CMC was the concern not the brake system. I really have no idea where to go from here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts