Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, "first post", my father had been driving my 06 focus for a few months, over time he started to express how hard it was to get the vehicle into gear.(usually upon start up). He went to the car one morning and it all out refused to go into gear. The car will* go into gear when not running, but apon start-up abruptly takes off as there seemingly no presence of the clutch. I've done research and I've heardu that there is some form of bracket on the trans for the clutch that often fails. If anyone could cite a forum where this is already discussed with pictures ect that would be very helpful, thankyou.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Moving this to General Tech Chat where you can find more threads on Clutch problems & get some answers.

No bracket on the trans. to fail, these have a slave cyl. that's a "doughnut" style around the trans input shaft - no linkage there. Fluid line & bleed screw are at the top of the bellhousing.

Master cyl. is inside by the pedal, it can leak on the pedal/floor when it starts to go bad. Fed by the brake reservoir BTW.

Slave cyl. leakage is seen from a drain hole in the bellhousing if that is going, another item to check.

What pedal feel you get sometimes helps in the guesses.

Another possibility is that it's just worn out, sometimes a piece of the friction material breaks loose & wedges between friction plate & flywheel or pressure plate preventing complete disengagement. Was there any evidence of slippage before the problem?

There's a long list of possibilities to chew on, what you know now or can figure out can help others guess more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, thank you for such a timely response and your direction in which forum pertained to my question, first thing I did was check reservoir for fluid... Dry...I'm not sure why I never thought of that. Put some dot 3 in and boom I have a moving car. I'll have to pick the part up tonight at work. (I work at Autozone)...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Autozone actually had the stock Clutch master cyl. in their Duralast packaging when i replaced mine, if needed that is as good as you can get.

The problem now is the question of where it leaked, have you found anything out on that part yet?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
With any luck it's just the master. It's still a miserable job, but at least it's not a full clutch job.

Mine alerted me by leaking onto the pedal. By the second time my foot slipped off the clutch, I realized what the problem was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is definitely the clutch cylinder, curious if this could also be the culprit behind my erratic idle when going into neutral. (MT) I go to slow down, remove the car from gear and the rpm usually bounces up to about 3k, also does this in between shifting. I've now replaced my iacv, and my tps... So such luck, when I unplug the iacv the car runs and operates as normal...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts