Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this will be the first of many questions with my new toy.

Having a fluid leak dripping on my floor mat. Looks like hydraulic fluid coming from above the clutch pedal. Does this sound likely? Is it something a backyard mechanic can fix/change parts?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your clutch master cylinder is leaking.

Changing out the parts is reasonable for a backyard mechanic.

I found bleeding the air out of the system, after replacing the clutch master cylinder, to be surprisingly challenging and time consuming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you the response. Watched a You Tube video, doesn't look too bad to replace. Will let you know when done.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you the response. Watched a You Tube video, doesn't look too bad to replace. Will let you know when done.

Tom
Replaced clutch master cylinder. Took about 4 hours. I still have to bleed it. Not too bad of a job.

My car came with shop manuals. Wasn't sure if that was a bad omen. They are a little greasy too. I think the first owner was a Ford tech. The manuals were a lot better then the You Tube videos. lol.

The manual said I need a vacuum pump. Any one bleed a system without one?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
I couldn’t get mine to bleed properly. I was too inexperienced to know about bench bleeding at the time.

The method discussed in this video worked perfectly for me.

It’s still working great after driving ~1k miles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you bleed it like the gentleman in the referenced video describes, I suggest you be careful when crimping the hose to not cut a hole in the hose by over crimping.

Use as little force as possible to close the code grips...there’s no need to be a super hero by clamping it down hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just attempted to bleed the clutch. Took me a my 15 year old about 5 minutes. Pedal felt fine, moved it back and forth a few times in the garage. So far so good. Test drive tomorrow if the roads are dry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put about 70 miles on the car today. Clutch worked fine. Thank you Beretta96. Awesome little car to drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts