Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking into a clutch kit. i found a ACT cluctch for 300. what have people hurd about ACT and if anyone has one, how does it preform. when you do this, i was thinking of other things that would be simple to do while the tranny is off. what should i replace along with the clutch. i was thinking fly, but i know theres gatta be more.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
Are you going for an upgraded clutch kit like a stage 2 or higher or are you going with a stock replacement? Most of the clutch kits I see around here are Spec, Clutchmasters, fidenza for their fly. Havent really heard much about the ACT.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i can tell you that my spec stg 3 is FANTASTIC. its overkill for my mods, but overall im very impressed with it. for bigger power a stg 3 or 4 would do nicely.. an everyday street disc stg 1 or 2... you can get a spec flywheel too if you wanted to do that. their clutch kits come with a new throwout bearing and alignment tool as well. if you do it make sure u have more fluid to bleed the line (hydraulic clutch assy) if necessary.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Auto0utcast said:
i can tell you that my spec stg 3 is FANTASTIC. its overkill for my mods, but overall im very impressed with it. for bigger power a stg 3 or 4 would do nicely.. an everyday street disc stg 1 or 2... you can get a spec flywheel too if you wanted to do that. their clutch kits come with a new throwout bearing and alignment tool as well. if you do it make sure u have more fluid to bleed the line (hydraulic clutch assy) if necessary.
While it may be overkill for your mods, don't forget your driving style is equally important!! Like autoX or roadracing at MidOhio,etc...

·
Registered
155 Posts
that is true... the clutch has seen 20+ passses down the drag strip in its life and still grabs like it was just broken in. i love this thing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so the spec has good words to be said about. no one knows about the ACT. the reason i looked at the ACT was it was the cheapest, and im on a budget. the spec sounds good. and the spec fly i guess would be best to go along with the clutch. any other opinions on clutches. i am not looking to spend more than 400 on a clutch, and i am only running a few HP over stock, so i dont need something that can handle an outragous amount.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
from what ive heard around the forum, if your doing alot of daily driving, getting a drastically lightened fly wheel makes shifting smoothly much harder. Since your on a budget anyways, get like a spec stg 2 which has alittle bit more clamping force and still easy enough to shift for daily driving and with the fly wheel the same weight smooth shifting is easier cuz the revs hang on. Just my .02

·
Registered
155 Posts
spec stg 1 FTW good to ~185 lb ft of torque and with the spec flywheel itd seriously be an awesome setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i beleive/hope im going to be running more than 285 lbft of tq before a clutch is goin to wear out, so im preaty sure i will not go for the stg 1. i was looking at the stg 2 and 3, there just about the same price. I was looking at 2 different fly's. the one from spec which i found for like 427, and the ford racing one for 99.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the FR flywheel doesnt mate up with the spec clutch excatly.. it needs to have an edge filed off it before itd work properly...the stg 3 spec clutch is a 6 or 4 puck design... the stg 1 and 2 are full faced... stick with a 1 or 2 for daily driving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about the Fidanza fly? hurd anything about that? i am not goin to get the FR fly, i seen that does not weight any less than the stock one. so either the Fidanza or spec.

·
Registered
155 Posts
fidanza has the same issue (focussport is basically rebadged fidanza as well) there is a lip that has to be machined for it to seat properly... just stick with the spec stuff... its awesome.

·
Registered
301 Posts
spec is the clutch:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts