Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best clutch kit for my 2.3? i have stage 2 cams and im planning to order the FS turbo kit soon, witch clutch kit would be the best? i dont want it to grab so hard it brakes something..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
probably want a stg3

if you get the Massive conversion flywheel or the F2 one you can run Zetec clutches in your car.

Then theres the Exedy, Spec (which i like), and a few others that are good too.

btw cams + boost = no bueno

·
Registered
596 Posts
btw cams + boost = no bueno
I have seen on FJ the link to Massive and found 2 different stg 2 cam setups. I for the N/A cars and the other for the FI cars....I have found this at different places and different manufacturers. So Evan, if you would, please clear up this issue.

BTW I will be somewhere around 175whp and prob 170 wtq (or thereabouts in the course of two years) so in your opinion would the Exedy stg 2 be a good clutch for me. I am gonna do like you said and put the FRPP T2 Torsion diff and the clutch in at the same time, but I won't be able to do any power upgrades this year (this will be very expensive). I want this clutch to last a very very long time. SO for reference sake because I will be ordering the clutch soon let me know...also do you have any input on Clutch Masters or any other clutches? Thanks man.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
no input on clutchmasters for the focus, have no experience nor do i know anyone with them

as for the cams statement, i meant NA cams. They have too much overlap and will hurt you with boost. The turbo cams are apparently a waste of money as they cost like $700 when all is said and done yet add like 2 hp, according to Tom the stock duratec cams are best.

don't want this to turn into an FI discussion so lets keep this to a minimum...my comment was just meant to be a side note.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Exedy stage 2 is great.. I have 240~whp for the last 30k or so. clutch has held up great.

·
Registered
359 Posts
life of a clutch is not really measured by miles... You can make a stage 2 or any stage last 200k or 20k. Its all how you drive.

As for me.. I drive about 10-15k every 3 months or so. in 3 years iv put on 95k on my fofo.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OP get the stage 3 exedy. i love it and how it engages. not like an on off switch. i can drive it just as smooth as the normal clutch. or if i want to, i can drive it hard and it grabs good. it also will hold tons of power, so if you are looking to upgrade anything after the turbo, you shouldnt have to upgrade clutches unless you drove like a madman for several thousand miles on the stage 3..

and ive heard crane stage 1 cams work well with boosted cars. not much overlap and a good amount of lift.

·
Registered
596 Posts
talked to FS today and they recommended the EX stg1 for the hp/tq that I am looking to achieve and going the N/A way with basically bolt-ons, header, 2.5" exhaust, cams, (Cossies IM MAYBE?? might be just to expensive and too involved after reading what Evan had to do for the way I drive) and tune that it would be MORE than enough clutch for my ST...

·
Registered
596 Posts
yeah the stg 1 will allow me if I so choose to actually add power w/o having to worry with a clutch upgrade...I'm figuring if I do the cossie im and cossie cams/crower cams later I'd get somewhere in the 165 to 175 whp/wtq range, at least I should with a new dyno tune...that would be perfect for me...good tires/suspension + good brakes + sturdy clutch + strong engine = happy driver

If I were younger and dragged or auto-X'd I go FI, but just as a daily driver to have a bit of reserve power on tap for fun is all this old man wants anymore [thumb]

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
sounds good man!

i would suggest crane cams though. from what ive heard, crane stage 1s are the best all around :) ive seen a lot of people switch from cosworth to crane cams and be happy..

your right though. even with the power you are making now, the car has gotta be quick.. when i was making about 15 less whp/tq than you are my car was quick :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
yo tommy even with stg 1 anything you should be in the 180s if you choose the cosworth im. At least with a good dyno tune

1 - 14 of 14 Posts