Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the average price for a clutch job at a shop? I purchased my parts but I want to have someone do the labor. Is it an out-of-the-car procedure?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Can be done in the car - a special fixture spans the strut towers and supports the engine as the transmission is dropped.

A good mechanic could probably do it in 4-5 hrs, but I could see most taking 8. Shop around for your hourly rate.

On a side note, when our mechanics were doing the Ford TSB clutch evaluations (trying out many different types of clutches to identify the TSB fix) they got down to doing clutch swaps in about 2-2.5 hrs) ... that's flyin!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
This is the one i made for doing these jobs:

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
^^^How's about giving us a little more detail concerning your engine support?
Hint...hint..."How To" with materials list... [;)]
That doesn't deform the cowl at all??

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got quoted for 900 to do the clutch, waterpump, and timing belt. That is with me supplying my aluminum flywheel, PP, Disk, TO bearing, and slave cylinder. Is that a bad deal? I know this guy pretty well- he did the clutch for my 944 and he did it PERFECTLY, I've had various other work done there as well. Very meticulous mechanic.

·
Registered
456 Posts
WD40 said:

That doesn't deform the cowl at all??
Yeah ... how does that work? The cowl/cover is entirely plastic ...

The OE tool is a is an upside down U that goes between the strut tops (used 2 of the 3 strut mounting bolts) and has a 3rd leg in the middle that rests on the cowl similar to what you show.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Not all OE tools are made that way. The one at our dealership is Rotunda and i basically copied it. Mine is just simpler. The way its sitting on my car is just to show how it works. The cowling side, i usually place a folded towel under that lips and works perfectly. Its made of 2"square tubing, 1" flat bar, and a 1/2" threaded rod bent at the end as a hook. Ive used this thing for years. I made me one because i got tired of the other tech's using the shop one and leaving it on the car for days at a time.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If you want measurements on all the parts, i can supply them.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Thanks^^^

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Wow, thats high to me, but in a dealership, thats about right. Wish you were closer, id do the clutch and the timing belt for $450.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
900 is a good deal for the timing belt and clutch or no???
wow...

my install won't be that much and its in cnd... at my dealership they wanted around 700-900cnd.. supplied parts by me

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a TIMING BELT and CLUTCH though. not sure if the timing belt is a major pain in the neck but I am sure that will add something to the price. I think the original quote for the clutch alone was 4 hundred and change but the timing belt and clutch together came to about 900 for labor.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you should drive to see bigsir he did mine for me, oh and by the way i think the clutch just broke last week

H

·
0 Posts
That seems like robbery to me... i've had clutches done for $500 before, the timing belt shouldn't be that much more.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Anaxagoras1986 said:
This is a TIMING BELT and CLUTCH though. not sure if the timing belt is a major pain in the neck but I am sure that will add something to the price. I think the original quote for the clutch alone was 4 hundred and change but the timing belt and clutch together came to about 900 for labor.

First off I can read.. second if your going to criticize what I can have it done for then don't ask for an opinion[:D]

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moe-van1 said:
First off I can read.. second if your going to criticize what I can have it done for then don't ask for an opinion[:D]

Woah not trying to criticize anyone!! [:)] I appreciate the input from you guys don't get me wrong!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts