Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas so after looking at few STs I've decided to pickup a infra red 03 SVT ZX5 with 78k miles on it for $2900. Now here's the only issue, the clutch and slave cylinder need to be replaced. He said it's drivable and shifts good it's just slow when starting off. I found a newish LUK kit plus tool and slave cylinder for $300 but need to know how hard is it to install on my own.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
ooooooooo another DMF victim. You not only need a clutch, you need a new flywheel as well. Dual Mass flywheels are good for only one clutch unless you've only got like 20k miles on that one clutch. Once you get it apart, you should verify if you have an aftermarket one piece flywheel or a DMF. If you do have to replace the flywheel, you also need new bolts. I have personally seen the effect of not replacing the bolts when replacing the flywheel- and it's not pretty. You can damage a lot more than you think if the flywheel comes loose from the crank.

What exactly is it doing? You say it's slow when it starts off? I don't comprehend. When the clutch goes out, the engine will rev freely in gear and not grab. A sticky slave cylinder will do that as well, and so will a loose pressure plate. Replacing a clutch isn't super duper simple in this car, so I just want you to be sure that he's telling you the right thing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the details on the kit I'd be buying.
Next is a Luk SVT Clutch kit. Please understand that the flywheel, pressure plate, and slave are lightly used. But the factory machining on the flywheel and pressure plate are still there. The disc is BRAND NEW, I ordered it from Steve at Tousley. Included is the clutch alignment tool. They will be shipped in 2 boxes, larger of the two will have the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and the smaller will have the alignment tool/slave. This is all boxed and ready to ship.
Looking for $300 shipped OBO.
So what else do I need?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts