Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't really an immediate thing, but I will be replacing my clutch/flywheel in the future, and was wondering if anyone in here knew a cheap place to install it. My clutch isn't gone yet, but let's just say my friend is NEVER driving my car again...sigh...

BTW, I live in San Diego, but if the price is right, and the shop trustworthy, I'll make a drive, so everyone who knows something, please chime in.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
Thing is I don't trust anyone to work on my car, I do all the work myself. That is if I'm not feeling too lazy....lol.

Clutch and flywheel would be a lil tricky, but if you have the right tools anything can happen. If I were you though, I'd take it to a Ford dealer to do the work. Try Kerney Mesa Ford. I heard that they'll do that sort of thing [thumb].

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's anything like Mossy Ford, though, it'll cost around 1000 bucks to install. That's a lot of money for a six-seven hour clutch install, and it seems like they want more labor hours to fix whatever they screw up, hence charging me an arm and a leg, then my other arm.

However, if you could look into how much it would cost to swap out a clutch, flywheel, and some 3.82 gears, all provided by me, that would be great. All I need is the labor...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know for a fact that no matter how long it takes, we will charge you based on the standard time ford puts out. If Ford says it will take 5 hours, and it takes 7, we charge you for 5.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
smokethebear_280 said:

However, if you could look into how much it would cost to swap out a clutch, flywheel, and some 3.82 gears, all provided by me, that would be great. All I need is the labor...
You should actually go for 3.42 gears cause right now IIRC you are at 3.82. The 05' and later 2.0 motors have 3.42 and it makes for a better start. I would race Mievil and get him off the line every time [:D].

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naw, you got it backwards. All foci have 3.82 from '05 and up. The 2004 (my year) has the 3.42. I would go 4.06, but I don't have a Honda...

Lamar

·
Registered
161 Posts
Trav-E2.0 said:
You should actually go for 3.42 gears cause right now IIRC you are at 3.82. The 05' and later 2.0 motors have 3.42 and it makes for a better start. I would race Mievil and get him off the line every time [:D].
WTF are you talking about? [confused]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mievil said:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW Thanks for lettin us in to see the show last night. I've never been that close before, and everyone still has all their limbs. At least what they came in with anyway...

Lamar

·
Registered
161 Posts
No problem dude. Greg provided the hookup though. I just walked in front of you guys till you got where you were going. [:p] Glad you had fun.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
mievil said:
Wait, what?!?

Maybe I'm confused then cause all that I've ever been told is that 05's have 3.42 and 04's have 3.82. Also those races when I was stock at the Q I would get you off the line, but then you would take me by like 1-2 car lengths. Either it was that way or your were asleep at the light [confused].

·
Registered
161 Posts
Or I was massaging your ego so you weren't aware of how bad I was going to murder you. You know what mom always used to say, if you don't let your friends win every once in a while, they'll stop wanting to play. [neener]

·
Registered
161 Posts
And Lamar is right. the 04s have the taller highway gears that we all want to get rid of. The only thing they're good for is on a turbo app.

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
I hate being mis-informed...ok so to clairify I/05' focus/me/that white thing that is sitting out in the parking lot has 3.82 gears?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Trav-E2.0 said:
I hate being mis-informed...ok so to clairify I/05' focus/me/that white thing that is sitting out in the parking lot has 3.82 gears?
Yes, you have those gears in your /'05 focus/you/that white thing that is sitting out in the parking lot. [:)]

·
Registered
161 Posts
justinrlamb00 said:
And beating people off of the line just basically means that you car sucks, and you dont have enough HP to spin the tires.
Or you pull what I did last Friday and redlight eleventy-billion times. Stupid track. And my car sucks. [?|] And sorry for the OT crap.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Trav-E2.0 said:
Thing is I don't trust anyone to work on my car, I do all the work myself. That is if I'm not feeling too lazy....lol.
jesus tap-dancing christ, you guys.i haven't logged onto this site in over a year, and THIS is what i have to come back to? for shame.

Travis, you should have chosen your words more carefully. this is why i'm quoting you here. your exact words are basically a slap in the face to all of us who have helped you with your car and been there for you all the time. now, if that's not what you meant, fine. and i'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. but, if you are actually trying to imply that all the work done on your focus has been done solely by you, then you're an ASS and simply do not appreciate the true friendship we bestow upon you (and you to us when you feel like it).

and now, a science lesson. gee, wouldn't it be nice if we had a local engineer who knew WTH he was talking about? oh wait, we do! lol. now, for a lesson in gearing:

if the number of the gear is NUMERICALLY higher, that means you have shorter gears. shorter gears mean you get more RPMs of the wheels to every turn of the driveshaft. more turns per rev = more power. if you've ever ridden a bike with more than one speed, you know this. so, assuming that the gearing and everything else AHEAD of the differential gears are exactly the same the car with the higher gears should HYPOTHETICALLY be faster, to a point. so why don't all cars use some astronomically high number gears? well, for starters, unless your car has as many speeds as a Schwinn bike, you're gonna run to the top end pretty fast with numerically higher gears. you'd kick ass all the way to 50, but then you'd be banging off the redline in top gear. get it? so, there has to be a compromise. also, since almost all of us here row our own gears at this point, could you imagine having to shift through your entire gate just to get down an 1/8th mile track? you'd lose from all the time lost shifting.

hope that makes sense. i've said my piece.

Mike

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
I appologize in all honesty. What I definitly ment was that I don't trust shops to the work for me and that I've done the work myself with my friends. Cause that whole issue with Epic performance left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't by all means think that I am a god and that I can fully do everything for myself. I don't know how to type is what I think it is.

I really truely appologize, Justin you are right and I am a duche bag. AND BELIEVE YOU ME that you can ask anyone that at the meet before the races that I was boasting about how we steal your garage Mike and work on eachothers cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts