Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok guys, My clutch will be here on MONDAY!!!! Thank God! I'm also doing this myself. Bummer, but Neato at the same time. Ive never done this before, and have'nt had any Damn, shouldnt have done that or Should have done it the other ways yet.

Been pretty easy going in just a few hours (spread over two days because of work) Got the Battery Tray, Intake, Header, Catalytic Converter out, Both Axles, lower and Driver mount out, and drained the Tranny. I'll go downstairs tomorrow to snap a pic of it all.

I should have written this Step-By-Step process so we could have an official HOW TO: SVTF Clutch Install, but I got lazy.

Anywho, I ended up going with ClutchMasters Stage 3 w/ Clutchmasters Aluminum Flywheel.

[strongman]

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Good luck, hope it goes well. I am sure you will like it!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know how many bolts are in the bellhousing? I havent checked, but If I end up short, I'd like to know how many. Also, the axles werent that bad, just popped right out./

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
14 bell housing bolts.

Draw a chart in the shape of the bell housing. Number in order 1- 14 and draw and X or and O after the number.

X= Cross to the engine
O= Out to the tranny

Use a Marker and number the bolts one at a time when you remove them. The must return to the same place they came out and it is easy to mix them up, and put them in backwards.

(Illinipo taught me this and it works very well)

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Also we found it easier to remove the engine/tranny as a whole if you have a picker, instead of dropping the tranny and leaving the motor in.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not bad, thanks for the help! Also, I dont have a picker so the engine is staying in. Axles were no problem after I got the nuts off (Impact FTW) I dropped the knuckle from the Strut bumped the axle Twice with a dead-Blow, and popped the axles from the tranny and pulled out. Passenger side was more time consuming for the longer axle which uses a separate bearing.

Any suggestions/ Dead ends? Torque Specs?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good luck keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got a few pics, not too good, but I broke one thing. damn. its one of the 3 sensors in the tranny. my luck its probably the uber expensive one. I did all of this with no help. just me and my dammy.

I'll do better pics when its going back together. Flywheel is still on, I need a bigger Torx Bit. Like a T55 or something.

Pic time!

·
Registered
240 Posts
looks like your valve cover is leaking 2 man i would of fix that aswell if i where you.keep us posted man,with pics,i might do this next winter 2.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea they barely leak to notice it ,im doin mine this week it looks the sameway as yours on the side and its making my pretty engine dirty lol

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
nice going man! you did good for doing it all by yourself!

have you re installed the trans yet?

it was a bitch for me to reinstall it!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just got the flywheel off. Pumkin, did you have any help? the tranny i noticed isnt really that heavy, just awkward. I cant put it in tonight, gotta run to pelham for the Redline MTL, and Redline 5w20, and Redline water wetter. But what Im really waiting on is the stupid sensor. I think its the reverse light sensor.

I brokeded that little bastard.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, need a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for the Flywheel torque. anyone got any interesting stories about how they held the engine still wile breaking the bolts loose on the Flywheel?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
This is as far as I got today:

Flywheel removed. New flywheel installed, but not torqued. Need a 3/8-1/2 adapter to fit torque wrench. New Slave Cylinder Installed.

Pics...

damn, i lost my camera btw here and the garage.. wtf?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I just now saw this thread. Its good to hear you are making some progress. I would love to do my clutch job on my own when the time comes, I am just scared that something will go wrong.

I have plenty of car knowledge but I have never done a clutch before. How difficult has it been for you so far?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
its not heavy its jus a pita to get it back up there with your hands and no jack.

i used a impact for the flwheel bolts it was easy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts