Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm really new to driving stick. Few questions, How will I know when to replace my clutch? What all goes into replacing it? Is it a DIY job or a pro job? How much? I drive 2003 SVTF.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Replacing a clutch is a job I'd leave to the pros, but that's just me. Many people do their own and do it right. It's generally considered a time consuming job, not necessarily terribly difficult if you are properly prepared for it.

Try to make your clutch last longer by being easy on it. Don't slip it more than you have to. A little slip from 0 mph to rolling is needed. Beyond that, very little or no slipping should occur in your gear changes.

How do you tell if it's toast? It slips when it shouldn't. There are tests you can do to check it. Generally, you KNOW when the clutch is going out though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool. Because I noticed that I have to press it much harder to the floor to get it to engage in order to shift. It's the stock clutch and I have 92,000 on it. Any suggestions to make it more responsive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
In had 134k on mine and just replaced it. I think it is a job for a pro to do. Maybe if you had a friend with a lift or big ramps i would consider it but if you mess up you got BIG problems. Plus you should at the very least re-surface your flywheel to make a flat surface for the clutch to mate too.
When it is time to replace it you will know. It will slip, shutter, and not feel right. This is my first time driving a manual till it needed a replacement and there was no doubt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts