Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
hey yall

Today I noticed a nice stain in my floorboard. I thought I stepped in something but it turned out to my clutch fluid was leaking behind the pedal-- I was told by the dealership that it is the hydraulic line had a leak in in and of coarse it is not covered by warranty. [???:)] [mecry] So I am asking -- Is it hard to replace and could I do it myself or what --
thanks for the help

·
You like this.
1,693 Posts
Same thing happened to me last winter. My "brake master cylinder" that holds brake/clutch fluid had broken, literally cracked, and fluid slowly dripped in the car, and the (parking) brake line went on. I can't remember how much the stupid parts cost, but in order to do it you have to disassemble a lot of the interior parts by the firewall, know how to bleed lines, and know how to re-assemble a lot of parts... sorry it's not more help, I had the dealership do it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had that same problem on my 02, can't remember exactly what its called. but I believe it was something to do with the slave cylinder. I've heard its do able, but it involves flushing and bleeding the clutch fluid (something I dont have tools to do). Dealer raped me for about 450

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well ....... son of a biscuit eater[scream][?|] ----- i really dont want to drop that type of cash(kinda tight) how can i figure out what it is with out taking things apart--- it still shifts ok-- i really dont know what to do with it--- any help is greatly appreacited [cheers]

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
well you can put up with it and keep adding brake fluid and have a mess on the floor...I think the part was only like 70 bucks if I remember.

·
You like this.
1,693 Posts
if you're really desperate, keep adding brake fluid... it should be low now if you check. BUT this is not a really recommended fix. try a search for this repair

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well-- the part(if it the right one) is $32 but the labor is $80 an hour . so.......... i dont know but i guess ill have to get it fixed before to long

thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have this same problem just happened couple weeks ago. My brake light came on so i started searching for the reason. It was low on brake fluid so i filled it, not a problem well today it comes on again. I fill it and i look around for leaks and there it is on my floor board. PLEASE let me know what it was and how it goes. Im gonna look and see where its exactly leaking from. This sucks!!!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
More than likely its the clutch master cylinder. The part is not outrageously expensive. I got one aftermarket for less than $40. There is a how-to on this forum which is helpful for the DIY mechanic, however if you plan to DIY, I have a few small suggestions to add to the how-to... (1)remove the lower trim panel on the driver's side of the interior. There are 4 bolts to remove, then the hood release handle slides off after you loosen the nut on the back, and the OBD plug can be pushed out of the panel after you insert a flat bladed screwdriver and twist to push the hook away from the plug on the back. This gives you more room. (2) Definitely remove the battery and battery box under the hood to access the bleeder screw. It gives you plenty of space to work from up TOP, instead of barely having space underneath. (3) allot more like 3-4 hours for the job instead of the 1.5 hours quoted in the how-to... just in case you're slow like me, lol. Finally, have a friend around to bleed the clutch. You'll need one to push the clutch pedal while the other opens and closes the bleeder screw, unless you're real good w/ a one man brake bleeder.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it is the master cylinder--- and the pwersteering pump-- the powersteering pump is covered but the Master Cyn is not [rant] [boxface]

so....... the work is going to cost $330[mecry]

talk to yall later

1 - 13 of 13 Posts