Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered my clutch kit. I got the Exedy OE Replacement clutch kit from FSwerks, including the pressure plate, flywheel, and clutch cover. I also ordered a new throwout bearing. This is for my 2.3L ZX3.

My mechanic took it all apart and the car had a dual mass flywheel! The one in the kit is a solid lightweight flywheel. Would it hurt anything to install the solid one, or do I need a dual mass?? Please help!! My car is on the lift, taken apart now, I am trying to figure this out ASAP!

Thanks alot!

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
The exedy OE replacement flywheel is made for your car. don't worry about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The exedy OE replacement flywheel is made for your car. don't worry about it.
Are you positive? Is there any kind of conversion kit or anything to make it work, or does it just fit right in and work? It won't hurt the tranny or the engine, will it?

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
dude, stop worrying. the flywheel is made for the clutch you bought, which is made for the car you own. As long as your mechanic has a clutch alignment tool, you have everything you need for your clutch install. The only advantage for a dual mass is that it has more mass, which creates more inertia. This is advantageous for newbie drivers so that when they are putting around town shifting like morons, the car doesn't buck and jerk all over the place. It's more forgiving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh got it, yeah I just wanted to make sure, I was afraid maybe they sent me the wrong thing, but I looked and I see it is supposed to be a lightweight flywheel so thanks for the input man! I have been without my car for like 2 weeks now and I am suffering withdrawl, I am getting paranoid that it will get messed up Lol.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
lol your mechanic should have prolly been able to figure this out

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You are fine. The dual-mass is only there for NVH comfort. The flywheel and clutch are sold as a combo because thats how it was designed. You will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol your mechanic should have prolly been able to figure this out
That's what I would have thought, but this is the first time I have had work done by him. My mechanic won't touch a transmission, and someone referred me. He pulled the tranny and called me wondering if I maybe ordered the wrong part.. Lol I know a little about this stuff, but the parts alone cost me $550, so I got paranoid because I didn't want my car to get screwed up!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are fine. The dual-mass is only there for NVH comfort. The flywheel and clutch are sold as a combo because thats how it was designed. You will be happy with the results.
Thanks! I really hope it works out well, I was told this was a good combo, and I am good at driving standard so I hope I can notice a difference. The car was at 100,000 miles with the stock clutch, I have had it since 70,000 or so.

I also ordered a short throw shifter, that came in today, so I know what I'm putting in my car first thing when I get it back! :)

·
FocusFreak
2,438 Posts
awesome dude. glad it worked out

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
how much was all the labor>?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My mechanic charged me $365 for labor, he didn't charge any tax because he's a family friend. He also had to buy 3 quarts of transmission fluid that he said he's never ever used or even seen used in another car (leave it to Ford.. Lol) and that was like another $45. The total bill was around $410 for labor, parts were $554 shipped.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
hmm, that's not bad at all for a clutch install. book time on those can be outlandish, like 18 hrs!

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Ford's book time is 8 hours (well, on my Fusion). I was lucky the shop I dropped it off at (Focus is occupying garage and jack stands) only charged me $350 as well.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i had a car that book was 21 hours!!

still, 8hrs at say, 85/hr is still 680!

·
Registered
540 Posts
^^ It seems that FSWerks sells the clutch kit with a lightweight flywheel. Also in the notes for the Exedy stage 2 that you linked to states that "OEM Flywheel (Dual Mass Flywheel) must be changed ZF502 when using performance clutch Kit" so that's something to look into when figuring out it's total cost unless they are trying to push you into buying more parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts