Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got the tranny out after having to get towed home last week. Was told that it had a new LuK clutch kit installed shortly before I bought it. Still has the machining marks on the flywheel and pressure plate to back up his claim. And look at all that meat on the disc...
Talked to LuK and he said that in his 14 years he had never heard of this happening before.
The friction material on one side is loose on the rivets, it moves around quite a bit. Other side is still tight. I'm pretty sure the disc may have been in reversed, meaning flywheel side on the pressure plate.
You can see in the pictures that all the splines inside the disc are stripped out. It's an almost completely smooth bore.
I did a quick measurement of two tranny input shafts and got close to the same number: around 0.950 to 0.965.
Will be double checking the shafts after I get the slave cylinders off.

Anyone seen this before?
Any thoughts as to what the heck happened? Definitely don't want to go through this again...
I don't beat on the car, hardly drive it much at all, maybe 1500-2000 miles since I got it on the road in February.

Not sure now if I want to go with Luk again or not. Borg Warner maybe.
Really don't need a ClutchMasters type of setup.
Opinions guys...........Thanks

[werd]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
was the side stamped F/W-SIDE towards the flywheel? if not then it was in the wrong way. but it could be a manufacturing defect.
usually when its in the wrong way it will shorted its life or refuse to clamp the disk.

·
Registered
133 Posts
clutch probs.

Hey there DLQ. I had the same thing happen to my 03 svt, the splines were gone. I only had 2-3k miles on car since i bought it used. The disc was in backwards on mine and you could hear a 'rattle' from clutch area. Well, after inspection, the 'rattle' was the disc actually clearancing itself on the pressure plate. I found a whole kit on ebay with new dual mass flywheel to install. It was a LUK also. Hope that helps. Later.

·
Registered
128 Posts
mine did that too not long after i bought it ~5k miles its an 03 it was factory clutch/flywheel though im pretty sure because i replaced it with a lightweight and new clutch and they were totally different.

no idea what caused it because this " factory " clutch had tons of material left on it also.....

·
Registered
209 Posts
This had to be an installation issue, the luk clutch is an OEM clutch. If you buy one from ford then it will say luk on the disc most likely. I got a complete luk set with flywheel for less than 450 for mine. I drive very agressive, auto-x at least once a month dumping it aroun 3k every run and i have never had one issues. I would not be hesitate to buy one again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts