Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question regarding the 2003 Duratec 2.3 manual's clutch.

Was the factory clutch made by Motorcraft or was it made by Sachs?

-
-
-
-

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If I had to guess, it would be Luk - matching the master & slave cyl. manufacturer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ordered the part from the dealer, and the clutch is SACHS.

I'm having seconds thoughts about this type because this is the one I installed before, and it never worked like the OEM used to do.

This car is became a relic already 5 years ago. If there is a better clutch for a stock engine which one is, and a part number please.

Duratec 2.3 L

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Is the part in an official FORD box??? If not beware.

Many times Ford dealers use auto store parts and tell you they are official Ford, we got lots of that here.

I wouldn't give two cents for Sachs parts, I sold plenty of them and the QC and initial quality were horrible. Many looked rough enough to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it came in a Ford Box. If this one is a shitty part, what do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Did it come with the flywheel? If not, you still have to get that. All Duratecs have dual mass flywheels which is a part that must be replaced with the clutch. Check CFM, they have kits- do not get Clutch Masters. I've heard bad things about those. I'd go with Exedy. I remember one FF a long time ago who got an Exedy flywheel that was flawed, and they replaced it for free and paid shipping. If I recall correctly, they were also interested in making sure that this didn't happen again, and hasn't since. The Exedy replacement flywheel is not dual mass. Dual mass flywheels are heavier, but take some of the edge off of engagement. You can also manage keeping the car in gear at lower speeds without damaging the drivetrain. Dual mass flywheels are easier to drive, and less abusive to the drivetrain- but at the expense of 2x weight at the flywheel. Acceleration is not really different on the clock, but it will feel much faster. Passing response will affected tremendously with a loss of weight at the flywheel. The abusive nature I'm describing is minimal too- not that big of a deal. The only place you might notice something is that you'll have more trouble starting on a hill in the rain without spinning wheels.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got this project going, and found out the pressure plate (Luk) was cracked. There was nothing wrong with all other components, they were only 2 years old, but I went ahead and installed a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and clutch line. The clutch line has been discountinued, a local hydraulic shop made a new line for me.

The new set up is working great, no skipping, and all working great after 200 miles.

I also installed the second rad sensor, the 5th alternator, and a new alt pigtail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just ordered the exedy stage1 set, will start removal tomorrow...
Can anyone give any ideas of any sensors or mounts or anything that would be a good idea to replace when all is torn down and easier to get too..
Hope you all stand by while I do this job no doubt I'll have questions..
For starters what special socket is neededfor the flywheel bolts...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts