Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! One of the light bulbs on my instrument cluster doesn't work anymore. I can't see the right side of the cluster. So i will change it but before i remove the cluster, i want to know what kind of bulbs and how many of them i need. "How many" is for I want white bulbs instead of green. So i will change of all the light bulbs. Will any of theses work?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...s&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Hi! One of the light bulbs on my instrument cluster doesn't work anymore. I can't see the right side of the cluster. So i will change it but before i remove the cluster, i want to know what kind of bulbs and how many of them i need. "How many" is for I want white bulbs instead of green. So i will change of all the light bulbs. Will any of theses work?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...s&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1
They are T5 but they look different, they have little tabs ont he side and push and twist. Are you sure the bulb is out or its just a bad connection? have you banged on the top of the dash? Mine will do this sometimes when i was tinkering with a new cluster and i could smack the dash and it would then light up.

I think the tabs need some dialectric grease maybe. LED are still a good idea though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27083272614...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2345wt_905

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
oh and another thing, if you order from e-bay pay attention on where they are shipping from. If its not from the US you could get them next month.[?|]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick response. not to be rude or anything but are you sure T5 is enough to describe those bulbs. Because there are lots of different T5 bulbs. And how many are there on the cluster?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
thanks for the quick response. not to be rude or anything but are you sure T5 is enough to describe those bulbs. Because there are lots of different T5 bulbs. And how many are there on the cluster?
Well my stock one only has 3, the one i have with a tach i think has 5.

This is where you may have to pull it out before you order them. Its not really an easy job if your dash is all together. Mine isnt because i had to remove alot of stuff for my handicap hand controls. It makes it easier

Mine is an 07 and my warning lights are all LEDs soldered to the surface of the board. The only lights that are replaceable are the back lights which i can dim with the dimmer wheel on the dash. I believe these are what your wanting to replace?

Now yours might have the "T5" style in every single light in your cluster. If thats the case, you might be able to pull one from say your seatbelt minder, or some other light on your dash.

But im really not positive that it is actualy "T5" I do know that my bulbs are the push and twist type like the link i posted. The link you posted look like a different style bulb that you just push in. I dont see how the push in style like in your link would work in the cluster. They mount from the back and shine forward inside the cluster.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well i swear when i first started tinkering with my cluster i tried to remove the bulb and it was in there so tight i didnt want to bust the glass so i didnt work at it to hard.

You got me curious as to how the bulbs actually mount into the push and twist socket and it actually is a push in style bulb.

But i would still advise you to either buy like 10 of them or pull yours out and count how many you need. You dont want to replace just 1 because the LED color im sure isnt going to match the glass type. So to be safe replace them all to LED so you know the back light all matches across the cluster.

Another thing you shouldnt forget is LED only works one way so you can mount them in wrong and they wont light up. You then have to rotate it 180° to get the polarity to match. So if you get LED put them in and test that they all light up before you mount it back in and bolt it all up.

Oh and im going to order some of these myself now and play around with them myself. Thanks for this post! [:p]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
wow! you are awesome! :) thanks a ton!
Let me know what you decide to get, ive been searching for about an hour to find some.

I have 2 older stock clusters that i want to try and swap in blue LEDs to make it look a little newer.

Then on the one i have with a tach i want to put in bright white ones, i ordered a custom cluster face from black cat and i ordered it in green so it matches everything else in the car.

Only thing is i dont want to order from hongkong and wait 4 weeks till they get here [thumbd]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
"How many" is for I want white bulbs instead of green. So i will change of all the light bulbs. Will any of theses work?
Oh and i forgot to mention, you said "you want to replace them to white insted of green"

The display is green not the bulb. The actualy face backing has little colored panels and the glass type bulb is just a soft white dim type bulb.

Stick with white the display will still look green.

Im going to try blue, but im trying to scratch off all the green color backing to see if i can make the color blue by just replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you were right i banged the top of the dashboard a few times and now it works. haha. thanks a lot. i will still let you know about the light bulbs if the seller responds to me.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
you were right i banged the top of the dashboard a few times and now it works. haha. thanks a lot. i will still let you know about the light bulbs if the seller responds to me.
lol, thats funny. Mine only has 3 and i had the center one do that a few times.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well here is what ive got so far, all i had in the house was white LEDs but it looks like they might work ok if they were 12V

I just set them in the socket and used a power pack to power em.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I'm thinking of going the LED route when the time comes to replace bulbs. From what I can tell, these guys ship from somewhere in the good ole US of A. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fled_prods.htm
I started to wonder if the bulbs are actually 12V i mean they dont have to be right? The board plugs into 12V but that doesnt mean its not stepping them down on the board somewhere. Thats why i stopped i need to measure the board first and see what all the LEDs get voltage wise.

I have a new cluster face comming and i figured ide swap in my test cluster then and check the onboard LEDs and the voltage going to the cluster bulbs.

I figured if im going to change em im going to do the LCD as well just to see if i can do it. There is 6 bhind the LCD display and im betting they are just regular surface mmounted 3V LEDs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts