Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Ford Focus ZX3., 87k miles, Auto. For a month or so at low rpms (shift in D and brake on) when I switch the A/C on I hear clunking sound from the engine and also a slight squeaking of the belts. It is loud when the A/C is switched on. It goes away completely at higher rpms when I start rolling. I can hear it very clearly at stop lights and the car sounds horrible. I keep my ride in tip top shape so the sound has been bothering me. My local mechanic checked the engine and trans mount and they look good. He checked the timing belt and said there "might" be a crack in it. Not sure what that means but he gave up after that. My next plan is to take her to the stealership to have them run this down but I am sure they will rack up a bill for this one [:(] Also this summer my A/C would not blow cold any more so I got a recharge on it from the local oil change guys and it blows super cold now.

Any ideas what this might be?

·
Registered
116 Posts
i would think ac pump being shot or tensioner just guessing tho

·
[:)][:)][:)][:)] I got this!!!!
4,184 Posts
a slight clunk or click would would be just fine, its just the compressor clicking over... but the belt could be going if its starting to squeal

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Is this a consistent clunking, or a periodic clunking? How well is the AC working?

The squealing is one of several things- you'll have to diagnose that. It could simply be an old belt. These EPDM belts wear differently than the old neoprene/fabric types. As mentioned earlier, it could be an idler pulley, or a weak tensioner. If the AC isn't that cold, then it might be that the AC is overcharged- especially if someone has been adding refrigerant without gauges. Lack of oil will make compressors loud- as well as inefficient.

I'd go for the easiest explanations first. If you're unsure how to tell if your belt is bad, your parts guy probably has the tool- you might have to speak to a manager with some knowledge though.

A thunking sound would seem to indicate a weak tensioner. You might want to put a wrench on it and see how tight it is. If it's easy to move- then that's probably your problem. Depending on mileage on that belt, you might want to replace the belt and the tensioner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts