Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! First post here.

For the past couple months or so, I've been experiencing a low pitched clunking sound seemingly on the front left of my car. The steering wheel also vibrates at speeds around >55 mph. Internet research seems to indicate that these issues concern the suspension. I'd like to inspect and troubleshoot the problem myself tomorrow, but I have little experience and knowledge in car maintenance.

The clunking usually occurs when going from stop to first gear as I release the clutch, also happens if I slow down too abruptly. Occasionally while shifting as well.

1. Is it safe to drive? I understand that I need to check it out and fix it asap but as of now I'm just getting my first job and don't exactly have the money for that yet. And, of course, transportation is necessary to make the money required.

2. Are there any diagrams that show the different components of the suspension in terms of what I know to inspect and look for? As I said, I'm new to this so I know little about the inner workings but I'd like to acquaint myself so I don't need to be dependent on mechanics, for diagnostics at the very least. Tell tale signs of malfunctioning, etc, different parts that may be related to the issue in question.

3. Is this potentially maintenance I can do myself with proper knowledge on the issue?

Thanks a lot! Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Subscribed, mine also developed a clunk last week. It can't be my end links, because I just replaced then a month ago.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Replace this:

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you get the "clunk" getting on & off the gas, look at the rear motor mount pictured.

If that isn't the case, then we can move this to the brakes, suspension & chassis section to start working on suspension problems. Clunk when stopping & starting can be a ball joint, something you'd want to check out & get fixed as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Actually transmission mount, OP is describing a failed one perfectly. The so-called 'dogbone'.

If part is dead you should be able to crawl up under cold engine and grab anywhere tightly and rock the engine forward and backward, you should be able to pick up on the looseness and the noise. A very small amount of loose is normal but not a great amount. When real loose the engine/trans rocks back and forth to 'clunk' the mount at clutch release and when you back off the gas as well. It can make vibration too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts