Focus Fanatics Forum banner

clunking noise after spring install?

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Trav-E2.0 
#1 ·
I recently added some vogtland lowering springs and a few weeks after around hard turns i hear a somewhat loud clunking noise. I dont think its the springs hitting because it sounds like it is happening after i straighten out on the turn too. Anyone have similar problems?

#2 ·
Yeah I had the same problem everyone told me it was my cv joints, that was false. It turned out to be the axle itself and one of the connections was worn, also could have been the springs...ford finds one thing wrong and replaces everything!! That however was everything replaced and the clicking went away. I might lean towards the springs because on my girlfriends focus she had the same problem and the springs were shot(cracked right through). I would check all the connections if these are new springs and make sure they were installed correctly.

#3 ·
if they are new it might be a them settling. after i had the pro-kit put in the clunked for a few days going down ramps and slow corners. they are just getting used to your car... after about a week or two it went away and now its smooth sailin.

well i hope this is your case!

#4 ·
#6 ·
Could it be another victim of blown endlink?

#9 ·
I had a clunk on my 05 with an FK suspention. Turned out the bolt didnt pull the strut all the way to the tower so there was a gap and it would hit with every suspention more. I had to take it off and use washers to fill the gap then tu-dah no clinking or clunking.

#11 ·
Check your strut tower bolts (all four on each,) especially the middle one...if its loose there will be some play in the strut between the strut and the bearing/tower. I was experiencing some loud clunking in the front end at one point and tightening the middle bolt fixed it. You'll need an offset box wrench and an allen wrench (can remember either size off the top of my head.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.