Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 focus se sedan
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I'm back with another problem that I can't seem to fix. Basically when I'm slowing down and the car downshifts it makes a loud clunking noise. I replaced the rmm with the cobb rmm and its torqued to spec, I replaced the 2 uppers with turbo tech racing mounts all torqued to spec, I tried with stock tune and toms tune didn't make a difference. This is the dct, it doesn't make any noise when accelerating. All the front end bushings are new also.

Video of sound

You have to listen closely to hear it the first time I slowed down.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine sounds a little different, but maybe its similar.

I have a 5 speed, but I get mine mostly when braking really hard (at about 80-100% of my tires traction), or accelerating really hard (full throttle 1st gear) and also hit a bump (a small/medium crack in the road will do it) at the same time. My clunk sounds quite a bit louder than yours though - but camera's have a funny way of distorting sounds. I've seen some other speculation on the internet that the front subframe bushings at the mounting points may be going bad on our cars.

I've gone through the following since I first heard the noise, and it did not help. I did these mostly as maintenance items since I have 120k on my car and plan to keep it for awhile.
-New OEM motor mount
-New OEM 2x trans mounts
-New lower control arms both sides
-New sway bar end links both sides
-New struts - all 4 corners.

·
Registered
2012 focus se sedan
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine sounds a little different, but maybe its similar.

I have a 5 speed, but I get mine mostly when braking really hard (at about 80-100% of my tires traction), or accelerating really hard (full throttle 1st gear) and also hit a bump (a small/medium crack in the road will do it) at the same time. My clunk sounds quite a bit louder than yours though - but camera's have a funny way of distorting sounds. I've seen some other speculation on the internet that the front subframe bushings at the mounting points may be going bad on our cars.

I've gone through the following since I first heard the noise, and it did not help. I did these mostly as maintenance items since I have 120k on my car and plan to keep it for awhile.
-New OEM motor mount
-New OEM 2x trans mounts
-New lower control arms both sides
-New sway bar end links both sides
-New struts - all 4 corners.
I replaced the same parts you did except the struts, I went aftermarket on the mounts to see if it was shift bang from the mounts being to soft, no luck. My clunk is only while the trans is shifting, sometimes when coming to a stop it will try to rev match but fail and push through the brakes almost as if I'm pushing the gas while trying to slow down. The sound definitely got louder after putting poly mounts in if that tells you anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts