Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after replacing a bad O2 sensor my car (SVT) has started making a very horrible clunking noise on startup, and also vibrations in any gear around 2000 RPM and 4000 RPM (will not do it neutral). So anyways I was up all night yesterday fiddling around trying to get this to stop. So my first stop was the exhaust system, gave it a good shake and sure enough one of the hangers in the rear was hitting the heat shielding. So I cut the heat shield in two places and fold it back voila no more noise from me shaking it. So after that I proceed to adjust the hose clamps on the thermo housing to fix a small leak, and call it a night (could not test things on the road because my dads log truck was parked in front of the shop I was using). So I wait around till he leaves at 4 in the morning then I leave in my car and the problem still persists. While under my car I noticed the rear motor mount where it meets the transmission the insert is bulged/pushed out from the actual metal of the mount on either side. So Now my question to any takers is, Can faulty motor mounts only vibrate at certain RPMs?

Thank you all...

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Yep...I think you found your noise problem. Fix the motor mount issue first before any more diagnosis time. That's a frequent problem with these cars.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought so... Yay!!! new motor mounts, and not because I want them...
I know I do not need all three replaced, but minus well get them all replaced if I'm getting one done...

thanks bluefront!

and I will get back to this thread as soon as I order these and get them in...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just got done putting in the CFM lower mount with the race bushings... And OMG, problem solved. The old one was terrible, the side that bolted on to the transmission was bad, the sleeve that went through the bushing in the center was not even circular but oval, so thats probably what was causing the bad vibrations... Thanks for the guidance bluefront!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts