Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just installed kyb GR2 Struts and zenn springs(i got them free, i know they suck) on the SVT, and as far as i can tell, everything is torqued down to spec, nothings loose, and i cant shake or rattle anything on my own.

BUT..

when i drive the car, every bump or dip i hit, i can hear a clunking/rattling sound come from the front end. Its a new sound, and im pretty sure its suspension related, but i cant for the life of me track it down.

Anybody have ideas for where i can check that may be the culprit?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Have you tightened the main front strut rod nuts down until they bottom out? Those big ones in the middle of the strut mount. If those aren't tightened down all the way till they bottom out on the strut rod, you will get a clunking sound.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
When I got my used set, the top nut was tight, but the upper mount had been wore out so the bolt slid around.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have spc camber plates, relatively new, and they havent moved at all. The bolts are tight, i just did a round on every bolt i could find and torqued it to spec. Going to go around the block now to see if i can hear it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Those bolts very well could be bouncing up and hiting your hood. check the clearance. The same thing happened on my grandma's dodge neon with her struts. she needed new springs. along with the new struts.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to own up.

Apparently zip ties are not adequate for holding a HID balast to the frame of a car. Turns out one of the zip ties broke, and the ballast had wiggled free, and was hanging by the wires. Every time i took a turn or hit a bump, it would rattle around the engine bay. Im glad nothing broke. Tomorrow im going to pop the headlights off, and give them a nice treatment of 3m double sided tape, 4 zip ties, and some duct tape.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Glad nothing broke. Sounds like you just needed more zipties.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey atleast ya found the problem. dude.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Just a forewarning....The GR2's are a great OE replacement shock. They are, however, not designed or made to be used with drop springs. Shorter stiffer springs require a shorter firmer shock. While the GR2 is a little firmer, it is a full length shock/strut and as such they will eventually self destruct when used with a drop spring.

·
Registered
190 Posts
^^ i called kyb, and they said they could handle up to a 1.75" drop without issue. But ill keep your words in mind.
That's great that they advised you that they will work but did they also remind you that their warranty is voided if installed on a lowered vehicle?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Here's their warranty summary direct from KYB's web site.

http://www.kyb.com/technical/warrantytips.php

I can almost assure you that lowering springs equate to a modified vehicle. Please note that even normal wear IS NOT COVERED in their lifetime warranty.

Warranty aside......when you use a shorter spring with a full length shock you significantly reduce available suspension travel. One of three things (or all) will happen. The shock will bottom out and destroy itself, you'll constantly be hitting the bump stops which is very hard on the chassis and can lead to a multitude and often very expensive problems and/or, the shorter stiffer spring will overpower the damping capabilities of the shock/strut which will wear the shock seals quickly causing premature leaking or at worst will cause a significant degradation in handling and control almost immediately. For these reasons it's incredibly important that the shock and spring be properly matched and work with each other.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Im kind of stuck now as i dont think i can return these shocks. What do you guys reccomend i get once these die?
For now I'd recommend keeping the shocks and dumping the springs. The shocks you use in the future will depend on the spring you select, amount of drop you'll have, the spring rates, and how deep your pockets are. One of the better shocks available that cover a broad range of spring rates and most common drops (1.0 to 2.0") are Koni Sports (aka "yellows"). But as I said a lot depends on the actual spring you end up going with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts