Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hearing clunking when my wheel turns left right from center and my wheel has been forced into the front part of the wheel well. This is the driver's side, any help would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to Brakes, Suspension & Chassis.

Wheel out of position as described would be something severely bent/broken making the car undriveable.

Ball joint broken is one possibility.

From the description the car shouldn't be driven even a matter of feet, since it would just result in more damage.

Don't know what resources are avail. to look at the problem, it's a flatbed to a service facility job & hope for the least additional damage if it can't be jacked up - checked out - and repaired where it sits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ball joint looks fine, car is driving no handling issues, just when I hit a bump or turn the wheel too much it hits the inner wheel well. The wheel looks sunk though. Strut or coil maybe? Been unable to jack it up and look.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
That sounds better than the first description, need a description of what you mean by "sunk".

Springs can break making it lower, inner fenders can come loose to rub, struts can get bent tilting the wheel - too many possibilities.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the tire off and had a listen. The strut mount sounds like it's popping through a certain point of the turn. I'm going to go buy another one and try it out, I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wheel appears to be pushed forward into the bumper when turned to the right. I tried attaching a picture but my phone doesn't want to upload it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Bad strut bearings can make that noise when turning, if it's to the point of doing it without any weight on it it's really shot.

Wheel does swing toward the front & rear as it turns, something that's not normally noticed as you aren't outside the car looking at it.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Possible bad LCA? Something is obviously broken there. You CAN'T simply look at ball joint and state it's good.......................the ball can be tearing/cracking through the plate and not show at all until it severs clean while you are driving down the street.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I keep hearing ball bearing and LCA. I guess my plan of action will be to replace the bearing and the upper strut mount as that is where I hear the noise coming from and if I still hear noise, I replace the LCA. It would not surprise me as I have had an LCA in the rear on the opposite side straight break in half on me seemingly at random with no warning sounds so to heck with it. I do hear rattling as if something is out of place down there and it has gotten much worse lately, especially since I hit a rough grade yesterday. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like AutoZone sells the ball joint and LCA in a full assembly. Yeah, I'll go with that and a strut mount.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it the plastic portion of the inner wheel well at the front? Both of my focus warped in towards the wheel and I had to heat them up with a heat gun and push them away from the tire. They would rub on it when turning at full lock. Just something to check if it still rubs after you fix up your suspension.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realized not too long ago that that's exactly what it was. I remounted the strut and that's giving me no issue. It only scrapes when I hit a rough grade due to the ride being more firm and my driving on grades I REALLY need to slow down on in addition to full lock position but the scraping and strange warping is no where near as severe as I believed. The handling has improved dramatically aside from that. So dramatically, in fact, that it feels almost like driving a different car haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts