Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a handy guy though. Replaced all the plumbing in my house (upgraded from galv steel to copper), remodeled a bathroom by myself, kitchen upgrade (not a total remodel).

I'm also okay with small engines and some car stuff, change my own oil, replaced brake pads once, minor stuff.

Never attempted anything with car electrical save replacing burned out bulbs.

Got an '08 SE sedan and I want to upgrade the audio and I have a few questions...

1. Based on my zero car audio experience, good idea for me to tackle alone?

2. I plan to leave the stock radio alone (don't want to mess with the dash), but I plan to probably replace all speakers and add amp and woofer. Is it best to do the whole shebang at once? I would almost rather do the speaker replacement and the amp/woofer addition separate. But once I have some wiring and whatnot exposed and whatever I need taken apart for one thing, would it just be simpler to get it all over with together?

2. b. If it's not too great of a hassle to install speakers separate of a new amp/woofer, which half would you do first? Replace speakers first, or go with amp/woofer first?

3. When it comes to speaker upgrades, what's the minimum amount to spend (generally - I know price doesn't always = quality, just ball-park) in order to make an improvement over the stock speakers? I'm not a total audiophile, but do appreciate good sound. I'm looking for a relatively modest (though noticeable) improvement - maybe the addition of the amp/woofer is enough?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i would upgrade the speakers.. that's a great upgrade to make. It depends on your preference.. Certain brands of speakers perform diff.. It depends on what music you are going to be listening to the most. certain brands perform better with bass, clarity, etc... But it is something you can def do on your own bud

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think it depends on what kind of music you like. For me upgraded speakers alone wont cut it. I need a sub.

First you need to set up a budget. Give us a dollar amount, then people will make some recommendations.

Also check out www.mnfocus.com for some local focus action.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You can do speakers first and then sub. When you change speakers you might not even want sub anymore. While you at it slap some Dynomat or eDead around speakers and on door panels for unbelievable results.
For speakers it's plug and play thing, but for sub you're going to have to do some splicing and wiring things up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The speaker installation is quite easy on foci.... so I'd tackle that first considering your new at the whole car audio experience. For mid range frequencies I'd recommend going with the usual Pioneer. There not to high in price and its good equipment. And yes the dynomat will help tremendously. Alot of people have never heard the difference.

·
Jetsetter
6,654 Posts
yeah man its an easy thing to do, i would deff recommend component speakers, it seperaes the woofer and tweeter parts of the speaker and produces a much nicer sound, and will sound amazing with a small amp, if you dont want alot of bass this is the way to go

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm a handy guy though. Replaced all the plumbing in my house (upgraded from galv steel to copper), remodeled a bathroom by myself, kitchen upgrade (not a total remodel).

I'm also okay with small engines and some car stuff, change my own oil, replaced brake pads once, minor stuff.

Never attempted anything with car electrical save replacing burned out bulbs.

Got an '08 SE sedan and I want to upgrade the audio and I have a few questions...

1. Based on my zero car audio experience, good idea for me to tackle alone?

2. I plan to leave the stock radio alone (don't want to mess with the dash), but I plan to probably replace all speakers and add amp and woofer. Is it best to do the whole shebang at once? I would almost rather do the speaker replacement and the amp/woofer addition separate. But once I have some wiring and whatnot exposed and whatever I need taken apart for one thing, would it just be simpler to get it all over with together?

2. b. If it's not too great of a hassle to install speakers separate of a new amp/woofer, which half would you do first? Replace speakers first, or go with amp/woofer first?

3. When it comes to speaker upgrades, what's the minimum amount to spend (generally - I know price doesn't always = quality, just ball-park) in order to make an improvement over the stock speakers? I'm not a total audiophile, but do appreciate good sound. I'm looking for a relatively modest (though noticeable) improvement - maybe the addition of the amp/woofer is enough?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
1. Speakers are pretty easy....pop the door panel off and 4 screws and a clip and the speaker is out...make sure to buy the speaker harness that way you do not have to cut the factory one off......As for the sub install the radio has to come out....you need to splice into 5 wires....lr speaker rr speaker and accy power to wire up your line output converter and remote turn on lead. After that its pretty easy....pop a hole in the firewall and run a power cable from the battery to the amp (do not forget to put a line fuse in but most good amp kits already have that.) and run your rca's and remote turn on lead down the oppisite side of the car to the amp and make your ground point within 36 inches of the amp (within 18 inches is even better)

2. you can do the speakers first since you do not really need to tear into anything to do those

3. Figure about 100 bucks a pair for good speakers, 2-300 for a good amp and 100-200 for a good sub.....if you need a box too plan on 50-100 for a single sub box....oh do yourself a favor and pick up a Rockford Fosgate wiring kit 8awg runs about 65 and 4awg runs 105

1 - 7 of 7 Posts