Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to get some aftermarket speakers, just because I am not to impressed with the factory installed ones. I've decided between two brands. Infinity, and Polk Audio. From reviews I've read they seem like they are decent, and I can get a 4 piece speaker set for under $200 because its buy one set, get half of 2nd set at best buy.

Next question is. I don't really want any tremendous bass. Just something better than factory. I have a sub amp from MTX that I had in my old car, but if I could avoid using this, I would like to. I just don't want to lose trunk space.

I also don't have a head unit, as I really don't want to jack up the factory console. Especially because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I've read that if I replaced just the 4 factory speakers, I might actually lose the bass sound. Is this true? If it is, and the only true way to get any decent bass is by a subwoofer, can anyone recommend me to a site that makes small enclosures for subs. Again, I am completely clueless to car audio, and appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
you do not really lose bass when you swap out speakers....it just becomes less noticeable since you will have better performing mids and highs giving you a more balanced sound.

i have always liked the infinity speakers and i highly recommend them.

as far as filling in the low end of your sound you really are going to have to pick up a sub. most likely all you will need is a single 10 or 12 in a small sealed enclosure...shouldn't take up too much space.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thats understandable. What kind of infinity speakers do you have if you don't mind me askin?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
i actually have the stock infinity speakers that came with my galant and it has a very small amp under the seat im not gonna lie they sound clean certain songs sound really nice.. the only thing i dont like is the dash speaker it might be blown and it rattles but my aftermarker plus stock amp makes them infinity sound nice i can only imagine what aftermarket sounds.. (hmmm gave me an idea) lol

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
i run the infinity kappa 6.5" components up front and the infinity kappa 6x8 in the rear

·
Registered
259 Posts
you do not really lose bass when you swap out speakers....it just becomes less noticeable since you will have better performing mids and highs giving you a more balanced sound.

i have always liked the infinity speakers and i highly recommend them.

as far as filling in the low end of your sound you really are going to have to pick up a sub. most likely all you will need is a single 10 or 12 in a small sealed enclosure...shouldn't take up too much space.
im so glad someone finally got that one right! you absolutley do not loose bass in aftermarket speakers, and in fact there is a gain in bass, however mrfatride is 100% right about gaining highs and mids! there is usually significant gains in highs and mids which draws your attention away from the gain in bass.

·
Registered
442 Posts
is there any change in speaker size or location in the 09? and could the stock speakers come amplified? just wanted to make sure he gets the best advice.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
nope 2009 uses the same speakers....its only possible for those speakers to be amped if it has the premium sound setup....even then output would more than likely be less then that of an aftermarket radio

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. I wish the tech guys at Circuit City, or Best Buy would have been able to explain this to me. They told me pretty much the opposite, which is why I came here. All they want is money!

So, the infinity Kappas have some pretty good reviews, and since I've been recommended those numerous times, I'm going to check those out. And I need to get an amp, just to push out that extra power.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
<--------- This Guy Keeps Popping Fuses Arrrrr I Hate My Car

1 - 13 of 13 Posts