Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to remove the cloth door inserts, the ones that match the seat upholstry.
Does it require removing the door panel or do they just pop off from the front?

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
you have to rip them off. they are melted to the door panel. sorry.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously!!!!!!! Whoa, have you done this? I guess you could rip them off, alter them
and glue them back on?

I was going to make them solid black, maybe I can do it with them on the door.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
yes, take your panel off and you will see what i mean. they are cardboard and tough as SHI* to get off!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
are you looking to reupholster it or something? it's quite easy to do that, without even taking the thing off. just cut a piece of fabric about 1/4" larger around than the insert. then lay it on top of it, and use a butterknife to "stick" the fabric into the crevace around the edge. it'll stay, and it looks great.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I wanted to cover it with solid black cloth or dye the cloth already on it but hey I'll give your idea a shot. Sounds a heck of alot easier and a lot less destructive.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I found some upholstry spray, made by "MAR-HYDE" at O'Reilly's this weekend. It said it was not reccomended for color change but since I was going from grey to black I thought I would give it a shot. Masked off the door real good for over spray and gave the cloth inserts three or four good shots........it turned out great! The fancy little "H" pattern in the cloth is still visable which is nice but now the inserts are black just as I wanted it.
Cost @$4.50 for a can which did all four inserts ( mines a ZX5 ). Note, this spray is for cloth only, it won't stick well at all to vinyl. Other colors are avilable.[:D]

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
cool! i'm glad it all worked out good! any pics?

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to get some on tomorrow.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Please post pics if you can MJCLARY2. I would love to do that to my car.

·
Focus Enthusiast
365 Posts
it looks nice, i have seen them before.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't forgotten just got to get my digital camera back from a friend. I'll try to do it this weekend and have pic's to post on Monday. They really do look nice even if I do say so.[:I]

·
Registered
549 Posts
No digital camera yet? Just wondering if you're gonna take any. If not, that's cool. I just wanted to know instead of waiting forever. Thanks.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it today. I will try to take some pic's today and post them. Sorry for the delay.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, at long last. Here are the photos of the door inserts I colored using the Mar-Hyde
upholstry spray. I think it turned out pretty good. In addition, using the 3-M Grip spray,
I think that is what is called. It's the spray that is used on handles of tools or anything that you want to have a better grip, it has a pebble or grit like texture. Anyway, I used the 3-M spray on my handles and the speaker grilles. It dries to a real nice flat black. The hardest part is the taping off the door for the panels. I used painters masking tape and wiped down the door with rubbing alcohol before starting, this gets oils from your hands or Armorall off the vinyl so the tape will stick.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I screwed something up. How do I attach photos to my reply?????????????

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured it out, I think. Lets try again. I only seem to be able to attach one photo so here is the front door

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok, here is the back door. Pretty much the same.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey, thanks alot! You did a really nice job too! I'm definately doing it now after seeing the results. I appreciate the pics!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts