Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to preface by saying I'm not sure if this is the correct location to post my question so feel free to tell me If I should delete it and move it elsewhere. That being said I bought a 2012 focus S 3 months ago and its been pretty awesome. Recently I have had one issue, there is a clicking sound that comes from the passenger side. It's mostly random when it comes out, Its exacerbated by vibration. It doesn't change in noise level but increases in frequency. Its usually present in the morning and then goes away. I have taken it to the dealer and they were pretty friendly and had a mechanic come out with me. Unfortunately I couldn't recreate the sound. We thought it might be the dashboard, loose AC flaps or the dashboard storage handle was loose. It 's none of those things.

Has anybody else had this issue, identified what it is? Any suggestions of what it could be?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I've also had this issue with some type of vibration on the passenger side of my car (the storage area is empty). In addition, the headliner seems to be vibrating near the moonroof. Are problems like these covered under the warranty...? I don't want to be a nuisance over such miniscule details. But I did just spend $27k...

Also, I feel like the dealer might do more harm than good - considering they scratched the heck out of the inside of my armrest/console when giving me the 2.11 MFT update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just picked my car up on Monday night, and I had a clicking noise coming from the rear passenger side. It was the coat hook that was not tightened to the headliner. In case this may be your issue too?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have most of my rattles going with my headliner (seems most front passenger clicks seem to be coming from it). There's another thread that showed that glue does the trick to cure it. Today, went to the dealer, and they told me that the headliner is held up by velcro (to get to the underlying mechanism and that's why it rattles. Best part is that if he looked more closely, he would see the glue was already coming off.

Time to take it to a new dealer.

Had I known my Focus was held up by Velcro, I would have not spent $25k on a car.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
All it takes is a dealership visit and a stern attitude. Any and ALL problems you have with a brand new car within the limit of the bumper to bumper warranty should be covered without exception, and without hesitation from the dealership. They will be paid for working on your car under warranty and if you haven't made modifications to the car they have no reason or grounds to deny your warranty claim if you can provide ample evidence of your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked my car up on Monday night, and I had a clicking noise coming from the rear passenger side. It was the coat hook that was not tightened to the headliner. In case this may be your issue too?
I checked the coat hook and that was definitely not it.

I will visit the dealer again and see if I can have them hear the sound.
The car being held by Velcro is disappointing but hardly surprising!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have most of my rattles going with my headliner (seems most front passenger clicks seem to be coming from it). There's another thread that showed that glue does the trick to cure it. Today, went to the dealer, and they told me that the headliner is held up by velcro (to get to the underlying mechanism and that's why it rattles. Best part is that if he looked more closely, he would see the glue was already coming off.

Time to take it to a new dealer.

Had I known my Focus was held up by Velcro, I would have not spent $25k on a car.
I will have a look at the headliner see if that is the source of the problem will post my observations.

I'll also add the ticking sound in my car comes from the front passenger side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts