Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my problem is this, i was driving to the grocery store tonight with a passenger and, he puts the passenger side window down, and all i hear coming out of my right front wheel is a clicking noise, its louder a low speeds, but i think thats because less road noise and slower tire rotations.

Its the same volume turning and stuff...any idea what it could be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well theres nothing wrong with my window, i was just saying that thats when i noticed the clicking the the wheel.

It could a rock?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Oh yeah. I had a girl ask me to look at her car one day because it was making a strange scraping noise. After a few questions, I determined that it wasn't brakes or anything I could pinpoint by questioning her. The first thing I noticed was a large tree branch under the car caught between the body and rear sway bar.

Going down the road in my Monte Carlo one day, I suddenly heard a strange scraping, squealing sound that I'd never heard before. I immediately pulled over and tried to determine what was causing it. A large rock had some how gotten caught between the wheel and the caliper. It was scraping the wheel, nestled perfectly between the edge of the pad and the caliper, and would only come out when I hit on it with a screwdriver counter clockwise to the wheel.

I've also seen rocks penetrate a tire like a stone age spearhead. Strange things can happen sometimes with cars.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
i have a clicking nosie as well, but mines coming from the engine, anythoughts whynotthinknot, or anyones? i got teh spi too?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had this same problem with my Focus 2 every now and then. Some of the times it has turned out to be a rock but it has happened other times where it wasn't. I know on mines, the car runs fine its just the ticking sound can be annoying @ times is this the same w/ yours pilot?

although for me personally its a minor annoyance, Anyhelp any1 can provide for this would be appreciated by us both

·
Registered
69 Posts
It could be a CV joint. It would be normal for them to fail this early in the Focus's life, but if you tore the boot and didn't know it, it could be dry and clicking.

If it was a CV, you could get a new boot and grease it up, but it would be a crap shoot if it would last. Once they are dry, it is hard to renew them.

Mike

·
Registered
220 Posts
FORD: 2000-2004 FOCUS

This article supersedes TSB 03-20-2 to update the model years, service procedure and part information.

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2004 Focus vehicles may exhibit a front end creaking, crunching, grinding and/or rattling noise from the front suspension while driving at slow speeds, over bumps, and/or while turning.

ACTION:
Noise, vibration, harness (NVH) conditions may originate from many areas. A thorough inspection of the front suspension is necessary to determine the cause. To service, refer to the following Service Procedure and inspect the suggested areas first.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect front strut fasteners and confirm that they are tightened to the correct torque.
Front strut to front knuckle, (one (1) driver / one (1) passenger), 90 N-m (67 lb-ft).
Front strut mount to body, (three (3) driver / three (3) passenger), 30 N-m (22 lb-ft).
Front strut rod to strut mount, (one (1) driver / one (1) passenger), 66 N-m (49 lb-ft).
NOTE: MEASUREMENT OF TORQUE MUST BE DONE IN THE TIGHTENING DIRECTION.

NOTE: IN ORDER TO APPLY THE PROPER TORQUE TO THE FRONT STRUT ROD TO STRUT MOUNT FASTENER, A HEX KEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO HOLD THE STRUT ROD IN PLACE WHILE TIGHTENING THE NUT.

Inspect for loose stabilizer bar end links.
Firmly grasp the links and shake them - both along the direction of the link and transverse to the link orientation in the inboard/outboard vehicle direction. If looseness is felt continue on to Step 2b, if no looseness is felt continue on to Step 3.
Inspect the link end joints. If they do not appear severely corroded, torque the nuts (use anti-rotation feature to prevent ball joint damage) to 50 N-m (36 lb-ft), and repeat Step 2a. If links still feel loose after tightening or if the joint shows evidence of severe corrosion, replace the link (YS4Z-5K484-AA).
Inspect for the top spring sleeve coming out of position. This may cause a squeaking noise between the sleeve and indent on the ridge of the upper spring seat, or it may cause a clicking noise between the spring and upper spring seat if the sleeve is completely out of position. If the sleeve is out of position continue on to Step 3a, if the sleeve is positioned properly continue on to Step 4.
Install a new rubber sleeve (1S4Z-8484-AA). Install the new rubber sleeve starting from the top of the spring coil where it contacts the spring plate.
If the noise is a clicking or popping from the front strut, install a service spring end cap (4S4Z-5L302-AA) on to the top spring tip. Reassemble and reinstall strut per the Workshop Manual Section 204-01.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
YS4Z-5K484-AA Stabilizer Bar End Link
1S4Z-8484-AA Sleeve - Coil Spring
4S4Z-5L302-AA Cap - Spring End

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya chustle it is for sure a minor annoyance, The car does seems to be driving normally dispite the clicking. It isn't the first time i've had problems with noises coming from the front end. It was creaking awhile back, and i just went to town spraying everything inside the front wheels with lithium grease.

I don't even notice the clicking noise unless the passenger window is down. There is a rattling noise that sounds like its coming from the inside of the engine at low speeds, perhaps all i'm hearing is the rock..or whatever is causing the noise in the wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts