Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i noticed today that when i make a turn, there seems to be a clicking noise that comes from the steering column... anyome ever have this happen? it almost sounds like a turn signal clicking off, but it isnt as loud, and it does it without having the turn signals on...

is this a sign that something is wearing out? any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the signal cancelling plate will click lightly even when you have the signals off... it may be that you just haven't noticed that before.

I wouldn't stress too much about it as long as you aren't getting an airbag light and the horn keeps working (those would signify a problem in the column to wheel electrical connections)

Of course, if you ever feel any binding, yolu want to address it right away, but I think it's just the cancel plate you are hearing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does it feel like the steering wheel is grinding at all? Or like its a little rougher when you turn? Might be a steering fluid leak.

I know when my old car would grind and I could actually hear it when I first drove the car the steering fluid was leaking out and I had to top it off every so often.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope.. no grinding, its just as easy to turn the wheel.. maybe its just that i havnt noticed it before....

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well. now the turn signals dont auto shut off.. i posted another thread on this.. any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ford anyone else with a clicking noise in their steering, my car developed this problem at 12,000 miles so I took it to the dealer and they had to replace the entire steering column to fix the problem. All better now :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had a problem like that when I bought my Focus new. Didn't matter what direction you turned it, it would click or sound like metal contacting metal. I brought it into Ford since it was under warranty and the car had less than 600 miles on it, the sterring column shaft needed to be replaced. Since their colapsable it the event of a collision, apparently this one was bad from the start. All better now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts