Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both axles where just replaced and it's still there.
Both wheel bearing felt smooth. Doubt it's them.
Pads and rotors where also just replaced, though they have no bearing on the sound.

So is it safe to say the differential in the transmission is the cause of the noise, clicking?

Not a trans guy; If I buy a LSD does that replace the whole diff and should get rid of the clicking?
(I think so but just want to make sure)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda randomly. Sometimes it'll click taking a turn easy/coasting, sometimes when taking a hard turn/on the gas.
If I accelerate hard after taking a turn it'll click sporadically through about the top of second, 60ish MPH.
Sometimes it'll click when not turning but just accelerating hard.

It isn't a constant click when it does happen. Just weird.

If you grab a wheel and spin it it's a similar sound to that the dif makes. Or like a dry needle bearing, vs a howl of a ball bearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kinda randomly. Sometimes it'll click taking a turn easy/coasting, sometimes when taking a hard turn/on the gas.
If I accelerate hard after taking a turn it'll click sporadically through about the top of second, 60ish MPH.
Sometimes it'll click when not turning but just accelerating hard.

It isn't a constant click when it does happen. Just weird.

If you grab a wheel and spin it it's a similar sound to that the dif makes. Or like a dry needle bearing, vs a howl of a ball bearing.
might had a noise like that, i replaced wheel hub bearings and come to find out, it was sway bar end links making the noise. cheap fix from autozone

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could possibly be a control arm bushing or motor mount. I would think a trans noise would be fairly constant and not sporadic.
And I think an LSD does replace the dif.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention, and really didn't notice until I paid more attention, the clicking doesn't change with speed/rpm.
LOL, how GD weird is that?

... here's an off the wall thought. Pull your PCV valve and shake it. It makes a clicky noise. Make that louder, because it has to overcome being under the hood and my exhaust, and it's similar to the noise I'm hearing.
Also, maybe just a fluke, I've noticed twice now that the rubber boot around the slave cylinder has popped out of the trans. Maybe, though my gauge doesn't indicate it, I'm building pressure in the bottom end, it exiting at the rear main and forcing it's way out the boot. Or maybe it's the extra RPM I'm pushing and the vent on the back of the trans isn't allowing enough air through the clutch.

Have to play and see it I can replicate something. This is just weird I think.

Car runs quite well other wise.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further diagnosis/info,

The Pressure Plate has small nicks in it.
Pulled the boot around the slave back to peer in a bit and I can see obvious nicks.

I ate my second Crank Position Sensor in 2 weeks last night. First one shattered, second just had a dent that killed it. So now I know where the sound is coming from, the Clutch/bellhousing area. But what's making the noise I have no clue. Has to be something bouncing around in there.

Now to try and slide the engine and trans apart W/O pulling the whole shebang.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Don't ask me.
That is a locating pin for the pressure plate.

Only things I can think of that could break it are,
Vibration from the extended RPM's,
Clutch chatter (which I've never had)
PP bolts working loose (vibration causing this again),
?

I never did pull the trans completely. Fished around with a magnet some more and voila, the suspect surfaces.

So for anyone who searches and finds this thread later on,

Sound from the trans area that doesn't change with RPM/speed,
Sounds kinda like a bearing, rocks or broken glass,
Broken Crank Position Sensor,

You may have a broken Pressure Plate Locating Pin.

=

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Whoa- totally crazy. NO way I'd have guessed at that in a million tries!!! I'm sorry I wasn't around more for the diagnostics, but it's good you got it figured out. Hopefully no more damage occurred.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really didn't want to. I wanted to see how far I could push the stock clutch. Currently 171,000 on it and it's not slipping even at my power. But I decided it's stupid of me not to pull the trans and replace the clutch and toss in my LW FW (screw balancing it for now).
So I ordered up the stock replacement Sach's kit from Rockauto. By the weekend I should be back up and running and have a FRIM on the car. Then Saturday back to the drag strip to see if I can get into the 14's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Lightweight flywheel is something I mulled about but didn't do when I had my motor done and now I wish I had instead of just doing a clutch at the time. I was worried about longevity at the time but I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with LW FW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts