Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought a new 2012 Ford Focus SE and love it! I'm coming from a beat up 96 Mazada Protege, so it's definitely an upgrade! I know next to nothing about cars, especially newer ones, but now that I have a nice one, I'm actually starting to gain interest!

Anyways, I have a noob question. I was wondering what that click sound/feel is when you put the car in park and are sort of on an incline/decline? I'm assuming it's a normal safety feature but wanted to be sure as I just heard it/realized it for the first time today after having the car for a week.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If nothing clicked or clunked to hold it in position it'd just roll away, similar to the parking pawl on any older automatic.

Like any other, using the parking brake to take the load with "park" as a backup is better than depending on 'park" alone.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, it is the parking prowl. It does seem the DPS6 transmission has a louder and more pronounced clunk when the prowl engages that most other autos I have driven. I would not worry about it. But it would be a good idea to engage the parking brake while parked on an incline.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I agree, it is the parking prowl. It does seem the DPS6 transmission has a louder and more pronounced clunk when the prowl engages that most other autos I have driven. I would not worry about it. But it would be a good idea to engage the parking brake while parked on an incline.
It's good not just to engage the parking brake but to engage it first (before taking your foot off of the brake pedal) so that the parking pawl is unloaded.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The main reason the parking brake wears out is failure to disengage it after the rare casual use by automatic tranny users.....
So if you notice your rear wheels are not turning.. remember to disengage the parking brake!!

I engage my parking brake every single time, and still once in awhile try to move with it still engaged... [hah]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info everyone! Now that I know it's called a parking pawl I researched a little and see that it's a normal occurrence.

Because even if I'm not on a noticeable incline/decline, if I'm on what appears to be level street it'll still roll either backwards or forward a little sometimes and I'll hear that click. Good to know it's normal! [ffrocks]

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was trained to always use the parking brake, manual or automatic. Apply the parking brake, put into PARK, then take foot off the pedal.

My Focus and my Fusion both yell at me if I leave the parking brake on. Warning chime and message in the display.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's always a good idea to use the parking brake in any manual or automatic. Protecting the transmission is no-brainer and it takes no extra time to engage/disengage it. Most people forget it's there and over time the cables (unless it's electronically engaged) become frozen due to disuse. Then, when you need it, and you try to engage it, the cables break.

Also, if you ever find yourself driving a car with rear drum brakes, a lot of times the e-brake actually adjusts the gap between the pads and the drum.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yup

And using it adjusts it on most disc brake types as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Focus and my Fusion both yell at me if I leave the parking brake on. Warning chime and message in the display.
Thats sooooo handy, on my old xterra I left it on by accident a few times. By the time I got to work those b*tches were smokin!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts