Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow my car has been set to the MyKey settings which limit speed to 80mph and alert you at 75mph. Not a huge deal except there's no hysteresis used. 75mph and I get an alert, slow to 74 and go back to 75, get another alert, on and on and on. Kind of annoying.

I only have one key for the car. Maybe it was like that when I bought it. Don't know, just been living with it for so long I've forgotten. The key I have apparently isn't an Admin key as it won't allow me to turn it off. So I guess I'm dealer bound? ...... which means I'm just living with it because ZERO chance I'm paying the dealer $100 for 30 seconds to clear it.[:(]

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
some automotive locksmiths have a portable unit that can change the ECM's key configuration.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Moving this to the MkIII section for you.

Not that there's likely a better answer on how to do it without an admin. key, but likely more info. on the system overall.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Living with only one key is kind of problematic... ??
I would get the second key made.. And which could naturally be an administrative key.
So the dealer charge (for the new key) would at least BE for something useful.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moving this to the MkIII section for you.

Not that there's likely a better answer on how to do it without an admin. key, but likely more info. on the system overall.
Sry. No clue what section this should be in.[:)]

Living with only one key is kind of problematic... ??
I would get the second key made.. And which could naturally be an administrative key.
So the dealer charge (for the new key) would at least BE for something useful.
I don't think anybody else has ever been behind the wheel of my car, other than the tire guy driving it into the shop etc. Having only one key has never been an issue. However, that's a valid point regarding the charge at the dealer. How much are people paying for a new key/program around here? My experience with dealer cut keys is that the price varies wildly.

You might be able to clear it with focccus or even a tuner.
Never even heard of focccus. Looks cool. Even if it doesn't work, I'll read up on it. Thanks.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Sry. No clue what section this should be in.[:)]

I don't think anybody else has ever been behind the wheel of my car, other than the tire guy driving it into the shop etc. Having only one key has never been an issue. However, that's a valid point regarding the charge at the dealer. How much are people paying for a new key/program around here? My experience with dealer cut keys is that the price varies wildly.

Never even heard of focccus. Looks cool. Even if it doesn't work, I'll read up on it. Thanks.
Keys, Admin keys and parts of the Security module cannot and will never be able to be accessed by general run of the mill OBD2 port readers.. this is specific due it if anyone can reprogram keys they can hop in pug in a handheld punch the ignition and program a dummy key and you say goodbye to your car.
I had a handheld unit when i worked for ford its not a obd2 reader its a specialized piece of kit specifically setup designed and written to interact with the secruity portion of the cars ECU. to obtain and hold a key programmer you have to be a licenced and bonded locksmith if your not part of a dealership... granted you can probably find writers but they are hacks and i wouldnt trust my cars ECU on one of them if my life depended on it as you can brick the system and no key will ever work again. and a FYI when my old ignition in my focus broke and ate my key it cost me $about $475 but that was for 2 brand new genuine ford keys, 2 brand new genuine fobs and the labor to drill my broken ignition out and install an entire new ignition (P.S. thats in CDN so thats was about $380 US at the time.. not bad for 2x keys, 2x remotes, 1x ignition cylinder, labor to drill out the bad and install the new and reprogram it all.. as when i had the car it only had one key and to add keys you must have master key #1 and Slave key #2 to program additional keys and fobs

·
Registered
499 Posts
I also only have the single key that came with my 2012 Focus when I bought it used. The dealer quoted me $200 per key including the key itself, cutting and programming. If I bring my own key/fob blank, they want $100 for programming and $10 to cut the key. So, I was able to get 2 blanks with fobs on ebay for $40. Since you can program the third key with two working keys, that's what I plan to do. Still way too much money but you're kind of stuck with these modern keys and the specialized equipment needed to program them.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Prices vary a lot.

Dealer here charged $50 labor for cutting/programming two keys and a fob for the older version.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
pretty much.. key programming is not a set price or thing dealers can choose what they charge.. i have an appointment with a "dealer" to take my SAP's computer and program 2 new keys and 2 new remotes.. i already got the remotes and keys (keys are also precut genuine fords) they are charging me $40 straight up without the car seeing it currently cant move 2 inches.

be forwarned you may be carded when you take the car to the dealer to have the keys reprogrammed.. when my gold focus broke its ignition and it ate the key they requested proof the cars mine as there's been instances where friends have taken cars in paid to have a key added without the owner knowing, basically they want to see the ownership of the car and my drivers license to make sure i am the actual owner.. pretty standard and i prefer them making sure the car is owned by the one having its security module reprogrammed

·
Registered
113 Posts
You'll need to access the security system in the car with fords VCM.

Dependent on model year it takes 10-20 mins to access the system. In some cases you need A ford password that verifies your id though fords server. After access is granted, you will need to erase all keys.

You will then need two PATS keys. One can be the cheaper nonfob pats type key. Using the VCM again Program both keys then assign one as the admin key.

Not having the admin key is the issue.

Can a locksmith do this?? I have no clue. Often times it doesn't work the first time even with fords tools and you have to try the second time.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
You'll need to access the security system in the car with fords VCM.

Dependent on model year it takes 10-20 mins to access the system. In some cases you need A ford password that verifies your id though fords server. After access is granted, you will need to erase all keys.

You will then need two PATS keys. One can be the cheaper nonfob pats type key. Using the VCM again Program both keys then assign one as the admin key.

Not having the admin key is the issue.

Can a locksmith do this?? I have no clue. Often times it doesn't work the first time even with fords tools and you have to try the second time.
ford doesn't loan, rent or even support any third party security module programmers.. again playing with third party programmers is playing with fire as you can lock out and even brick the cars security module.. the car has a peramiters that it will actually disable the entire car if you screw with that module to much and it will have to be replaced [facepalm] ..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe ford doesn't lend or rent, but you sure can buy one. Just like the unit on the top of my workbench.

Ford Rotunda part numbers. 164-r9819, 164-r9817, 164-r9813

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Maybe ford doesn't lend or rent, but you sure can buy one. Just like the unit on the top of my workbench.

Ford Rotunda part numbers. 164-r9819, 164-r9817, 164-r9813
i stand corrected on being able to obtain them.
but those are not the kits we used when i worked at the dealer.

heh Bosch like id trust a company to program my ECU that cant even make sensors that 1 last or operate correctly.
i had 3 choices when replacing my 2002 wagons ECU
Bosch $475
Denzo $680
or the Original $980
chose the Denzo knowing Ford no longer has any supply of the factory originals.

again people can use what they feel.. you have a right to use what you feel like i do..

difference being you brick your security module you pay for the replacement.. ford bricks it they replace it free of charge. same with the locksmith.

also unless you do it for a job no ones going to spend 2000-4000 on that programmer + $900 a year subscription
Part # 164-R9807 $1,599.9
Part # 164–R9813 $3,699
Part # 164–R9817 $3,699
Part # 164–R9819 $2,299

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Somehow my car has been set to the MyKey settings which limit speed to 80mph and alert you at 75mph. Not a huge deal except there's no hysteresis used. 75mph and I get an alert, slow to 74 and go back to 75, get another alert, on and on and on. Kind of annoying.

I only have one key for the car. Maybe it was like that when I bought it. Don't know, just been living with it for so long I've forgotten. The key I have apparently isn't an Admin key as it won't allow me to turn it off. So I guess I'm dealer bound? ...... which means I'm just living with it because ZERO chance I'm paying the dealer $100 for 30 seconds to clear it.[:(]
You might be able to clear it with focccus or even a tuner.
^^^

I used it to remove it. Worked fine. Still only have one key and no more Admin.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Didn't you hear all these people? It can't be done!

LOL[thumb]
LOL.

That's funny... I remember doing it almost 3 years ago :p For the naysayers.

A real PITA if you're using a Windows 8 tablet like I am. [hah]

Software wise though, it's quite decent. Make the changes you need to make, and write to the BCM. ~1 min later, you're good to go.

I did have to reprogram my settings in the IPC and reset my Compass. But other than that, I'm good to go.

No more MyKey nagging me about speed/seatbelt or volume limit. Global Open/Close is nice because now that it's getting warmer... I'd like it to be semi-cooled off when it's super hot inside the car. (I have a black Focus...)

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Didn't you hear all these people? It can't be done!

LOL[thumb]
i never said it CANT be done if i did i stand corrected.

but i dont use tuners i dont work on cars with chips and i wont touch cars with reprogrammed ecus because when im diagnosing cars i use my own stock of known good ECU's and if that ECU frys because of mods done to the car or i break something ont he engine because my firmware is stock its your fault not mine.. plus you will get the $1000 bill for my ECU being destroyed

I dont condone using backdoors hacks or third party programmers...
no thats not a shot at you tom.. i do things right where if ford plugs in it is all stock and done proper. i have never bricked an ECU either but ive had cars come in because the idiot bricked their ecu and when i plug in my ecu it starts fine.
what i say is my thoughts and words if im wrong then so be it im not a god i dont know everything i learn as i go.. all my cars are stock i don't need a 30psi boosted turbo in my car to run down the highway at 100kph.. i don't track race if i want to track race ill borrow or rent a proper purpose built track car

i have a clean record, i have no tickets i dont need or can afford any because i have 20+ cars insured under my name with my employees as secondaries.. my cars are for work except my Jag that's my baby and its never getting a tune that cars touchy as hell as it is.

yeah look at your insurance when it hikes after a nasty ticket imagin that x20+

if there's ways around then i probably wont know about them as i do them by the book just like when i worked at the dealer.

so if you use a third part and it works grats [cheers] if it bricks and you f*%^up your car and its dead, I wont loose any sleep [neener]

1 - 20 of 101 Posts