Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it do anything if I had a clearcoat added to my car with a lager different color flake, or would it look like crap? I dont want to repaint my car, I just want to make it stand out a little... I was thinking about adding a red flake clearcoat to my silver car....

·
Registered
394 Posts
your car didn't come with clearcoat already? they musta had a Siesta Break when your car was being built in Mexico if thats the case,

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think he means what would happen if he added another clearcoat with a bit of a red tint (well, it isn't a clearcoat anymore is it lol) for originality.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Would it do anything? Sure it will..it should make it stand out. It really all depends on how much flake is placed into the clear. House of Kolor makes those flakes that can be inserted into a clearcoat. I recommend that you head down to your local DuPont certified paint store and check out their selection. They have many different red's as well as many different flake sizes. A 6oz jar generally costs between $50-75. Hell if you want it to stand out you can get a totally new paintjob that will really turn heads. You know that they make glow in the dark paint? I was sceptikal (sp) at first when I heard this, but then decided to see if it really worked by painting a BIC lighter. It actually does glow in the dark. The downside with this and neon paint, is that overtime, 2-4 years, the sun seems to break down the paint causing it to turn white. Also available is, color-changing flake. I could keep going and going on this. Like I said, best thing to do is go down to your local DuPont certified paint store and tell them what you want to do. They should slap down literally 4-6 1'inch binders full of paint chips. The faces on people when we do this at my job are priceless. [:)]

---Randy

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
To find a dealer in Detriot, try here. You'll just need to call them to see if they use DuPont paint. I tried clicking on some of there webpages, but they were down. If they use Sherwin-Williams or PPG..back away. PPG=Piss Poor Gloss [:)]

---Randy

·
Livin' it up in Cali
2,005 Posts
I am looking into having the CF clearcoated with a blue flake on my focus.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sting2324 said:
Would it do anything? Sure it will..it should make it stand out. It really all depends on how much flake is placed into the clear. House of Kolor makes those flakes that can be inserted into a clearcoat. I recommend that you head down to your local DuPont certified paint store and check out their selection. They have many different red's as well as many different flake sizes. A 6oz jar generally costs between $50-75. Hell if you want it to stand out you can get a totally new paintjob that will really turn heads. You know that they make glow in the dark paint? I was sceptikal (sp) at first when I heard this, but then decided to see if it really worked by painting a BIC lighter. It actually does glow in the dark. The downside with this and neon paint, is that overtime, 2-4 years, the sun seems to break down the paint causing it to turn white. Also available is, color-changing flake. I could keep going and going on this. Like I said, best thing to do is go down to your local DuPont certified paint store and tell them what you want to do. They should slap down literally 4-6 1'inch binders full of paint chips. The faces on people when we do this at my job are priceless. [:)]

---Randy
Wow... that's a lot of info... anyway, there is a dupont store down the street from hy house so I'll check that out... I might see about the color changing flake... I dont want to have my car repainted because I would want the HOK Kandy red... and most people are quoting me 7000 or more to do it right because it takes so long to do... not to mention it's easy to mess up... that color is just amazing though... but I have red inserts in my svt so that's why I was thinking of just getting some red flake added...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
One thing about the color-change flake or any color-changing paint is, to get the best possible color-change effect, it should be done over a black basecoat. I've never seen what it does if not put over black basecoat. I would test it out on another BIC lighter but color changing paint, (Chromalusion) goes for $700-$1000 a quart! Color-changing flakes are special order that our shop does not carry on a normal basis.

---Randy

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I found this accidently while searching for something else...sorry to bring up an old post, but thought it may be helpful for someone.

---Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts