Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel pump in my 2010 Ford Focus SE just quit working and as I was trying to just replace the pump and not the whole assembly, I noticed this clear gel evenly distributed across the entire bottom of the fuel pump canister. I tried cleaning it out with engine cleaner but it had no effect on it. So I had to use a flat blade screwdriver and scoop it out. later I noticed as it dried on the fuel pump I removed that it is extremely sticky like a sugary sucker. Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is or how to break it down. the car has never been idle or sitting for any length of time.
C7D7EFCB-F483-48BA-86BF-02DE08821782.png

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
Use WATER on it and see what happens. If it begins to break down then the deposit is ethanol borne water based trash. They say there can be no sugar left by the way ethanol is made but I argue some of that, why it is so sticky. I've had fits with the stuff sticking fuel needles shut on motorcycles that sit for even two days, the openness of motorcycle type carbs lets water vapor in and the problems begin. Of course you have to be using fuel with an ethanol component in it.

I've had the issue with Focus pumps before. Consider where you are getting your fuel from. No solvent will touch that, water takes it loose instantly.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Probably the ethanol in the fuel. My fuel rail on my Escape had some. There are a lot of informative videos on water and ethanol in fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
The ethanol ITSELF is considered a 'fuel treatment', look at the ingredients of any drygas product. It can be ethanol methanol (rare due to being a poison) or isopropyl like home medical alcohol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts