Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info or opnions on clear bras/masks. Im wanting to get one to avoid stone chips but Ive heard people tell me not to get them because they turn yellow etc, also does anyone know if they can ever be removed without harming the paint surface? Thanks Im just looking for info before I do anything

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
My brother told me it was a waste of money, because if it's not installed right, or just a cheap brand they tend to scratch the paint they protect.....and I don't think I've ever seen one on the road that hasn't been torn or ruined in some fashion....Probably not the best judge of them though because of my experiences in that part...but I've never seen a clear one...only black.....but I'm curious as to find out about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have one stock on my ZX3 and it works great. No yellow at all but I think I have the 3M bra.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be just my luck, but I've pretty much given up on front cover/bra. I have a full front cover from Ford, which I had one while on my last road trip. I ended up with two major dings right down to the metal from flying rocks, and they ended up being just above where the cover ends. It seems that the slope of the hood lines up beautifully with flying rocks, but the cover doesn't reach that high. I haven't bothered with it again and still have to get those rock dents out of the hood. My car is black so it shows really bad.....not happy [?|]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could be just my luck, but I've pretty much given up on front cover/bra. I have a full front cover from Ford, which I had one while on my last road trip. I ended up with two major dings right down to the paint from flying rocks, and they ended up being just above where the cover ends. It seems that the slope of the hood lines up beautifully with flying rocks, but the cover doesn't reach that high. I haven't bothered with it again and still have to get those rock dents out of the hood. My car is black so it shows really bad.....not happy [?|]

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a clear bra on my car. Works well. I dunno if I'd do it again though. My black car shows EVERYTHING. I have it on the fog lights too, and I had it on my halogen lights, but I have HID's now. I was told don't clear bra them.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im just debating if its worth it or if it will get messed up over time, my car is black and rock chips make me loose sleep, literally

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
it will get messed up over time. the brand of material that turns yellow is called ricochet. 3m wont yellow at all or ever, if it gets messed up, 3m backs it with a lifetime warranty. my bro does the cleanest installs thats why he gets flied out to vegas and texas to due lambo's and all kinds of cars with custom paint jobs and stuff. he has pix of all these sweet cars he has done. if u didnt have a black car id say take it anywhere and get it done but since u do id recommend only real experienced installers because black shows adhesive runs and orange peel

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here's maybe another option: when I got my cars made-over, my concern was rock chips on the newly painted cars. The shop applied 2 coats of flex-grip paint (clear). It has some sort of polymer agent to help bounce the rocks off the bumpers. It's applied over your existing paint and usually only takes 24 hours to dry. So far it's been 6 months since one car got out of the shop and 8 months on the other, I have yet to see a paint chip! Oh, and if I can remember correctly, it cost an additional $75/bumper to coat.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
it's not a clear bra, but my friend has an rsx and he has a bra on his car by this company called "magnetbra", i think, it looks/works pretty good and as the name implies, it's just a magnetic bra that u put on your hood.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
RE: Clear Bra

Any updates on anyone having done this?
I posted a link in another thread about this topic.
Clicky
Pretty cool, that the car they were doing was an SVT Focus.[:D]
I've already got 1 rock chip, and only 1,300 miles.[mad]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
If your looking to deflect rocks and whatnot, get the Focus bug shield.
Yes, it looks kind of funny but I used it on my trip to Cali from Seattle and by the time I got back home, that thing had dings and small pits all over it, meaning it was taking the hit for those flying objects. They're only about $50-60 and they're easy to install and take off.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
get the Focus bug shield
I saw one of those a couple days ago on the net. Danged if I can find it again though.
IIRC, it wasn't the most "stylish" mod you could do to your car.[:(]
That's an awful tight seal between the hood and the headlights.
I can't imagine that a 1/8" thick bug shield could wrap around the hood in that area.
How did your's fit up, microtonal?

Unfortunately, a bug sheild still leaves the front facia open to any projectiles.
I'm wondering if there isn't already some sort of added flex agent in the clear-coat in that area.
It seems to be holding up much better than the hood.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
WD40 said:
Unfortunately, a bug sheild still leaves the front facia open to any projectiles.
I'm wondering if there isn't already some sort of added flex agent in the clear-coat in that area.
It seems to be holding up much better than the hood.
By "facia" do you mean the bumper? If so, I can testify to the fact that it can be dinged/chipped too. That's probably the most heavily damaged part of my car, it has quite a few chips in the paint. It probably is harder to chip, because the bumper cover is made of a flexible material to begin with, but the fact that it is a flat surface straight up and down means its more likely to get the full impact of a rock or stone rather than the hood where it would "glance" off. Bottom line, if you bend down and look closely at my front bumper it has some nasty stone chips... [:(]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
By "facia" do you mean the bumper?
Yep.
It's just sitting straight up and down up there in front of God and everbody.....
just waiting for more impacts from road debris.
When the snow starts flying, I'm going to be in a world of hurt with all the sand on the roads.
I can paint, but I don't really want to have to go through that every year.
Let alone, I have a sneaky suspicion that the Sonic Blue paint is going to cost an arm and a leg.
I suppose once I notice a few dozen "hits", I won't care any more anyway.[?|]
Kinda like when you finally hit that big rock with your new pair of skis.
"Well, glad that's over, they're now used skis"[:D]

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
The bug guard also helps to deflect stuff from hitting the windshield to create dings or worse, a crack.
Windshields are not chip.
Mine fit great. I still have it and intend to use it on my nexct road trip.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Ah ha! Thanks!
That's a bit better than the one I saw.
It was on a Sedan, and followed the hood line all the way to the back of the headlights.
Kind of like this. \__/
Did not look too good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts