Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching and did not find any threads Dedicated specifically to the gains of the stealth intake. Most importantly, I am curious as to the gains in MPG.

I did find a post here and there mentioning a "possible 1-2 mpg" though, is that accurate? Or is that just the assumption everyone makes about just about ANY intake?

I ordered my filter to install the "Stealth CAI Intake," but part of me says that if it won't actually increase my MPG I might as well avoid the hassle of the oiled filter and stay with the one good for 100K miles!

SO let's PLEASE share our honest results...

Other intakes welcome too!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, I was actaully just reading that howto myself and wondering what the HP gains were. I'd be interested in the MPG gains though too.

Has anyone installed this mod who could give us some info?

EDIT: I have a 2.3L PZEV in my 2004 ZTS but the engine layouts seem similar to the 2005 2.0L. Will the intake fit my engine?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i honestly went from 18.9 mpg in the city to 20.3 mpg with the k &n typoon

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
svtguy21 said:
i honestly went from 18.9 mpg in the city to 20.3 mpg with the k &n typoon
Awesome, thanks for the info

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
went from 31 mpg on the highway

to

35 on the highway with my intake, *exhuaset tto* and i hammer on the car constantly

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I put my Stealth CAI on fairly early in the car's life- before 10k miles- and went from 26 -28 in mixed driving. I'm sure some of the more expensive intakes probably do much better in this category. I chose to go that route because I'm a instant gratification kinda guy sometimes, and I could just go out, get it, and put it on in an hour or so. I also tried a home-made short ram back before Ford changed the prices on the MAF tube, but that did not help my fuel economy- and I felt it hurt the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
my gas mileage went down when i modded my car up . . . i wonder if its because i can't resist slamming the pedal down XD

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just yesterday I did a Stealth CAI on my '06, so Im not sure about the MPG gains yet. I can tell you for sure (based on butt dyno technique) that theres significant HP boost.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I pulled 35mpg on my last highway trip...

·
Registered
440 Posts
someone on this forum did a brake down of all the cai and the cost and the hp gain. i cant remember were it was. but i think the stealth made a 4 hp gain and it cost like $30. i know dollar for dollar it was the best. but like focus sport and f2 were throwing down like 9-11 hp gain and the k+n was like a 7-10 hp gain. so its just how much are you willing to pay for the power. and from what i was told if you plan on modding more the stealth will hurt you cuz you can get as much air in as to a regular cai. my # could be off a hair but i hope it helps out some

·
Registered
496 Posts
Ok, here is the deal.
I dyno'd the "Stealth CAI" here in Denver a few months after I installed it.
I haven't got a baseline run yet, busy doing other things, BUT using the results from the late "Focus Fanatic" magazine the stock 2.0L Duratec put out 112whp.
The "Stealth CAI" equipped 2.0L Duratec put out 118whp. A gain of 6whp.
A $25.00 filter will get you a $4.16 per HP gain.

I drive mostly highway and some city streets during my weekly rounds and get about 30mpg. I have 17" rims and 215/45 BFG KDW's.

As time goes on your mileage will increase as the car "breaks in". Using a good oil will help also. I use Royal Purple.
Tests have shown that if you replace ALL you oil's with Royal Purple you can get up to an 8whp gain. That’s engine oil, trans. oil, and diff. oil.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Was the "Focus Fanatic" magazine Dyno run ALSO done at 5,000ft of altitude? If not, your "stealth" intake puts out more like 10WHP due to the "corrected" numbers.

Also, if you have 215/45 meats, is your speedo recal'd or do you have an XCal2 reset to the new revs per mile? If not, then your mileage calculations may be off too. 859.1 rpm vs. 845.1 or 1.63% slower. If you were showing 30MPG on the nose, it's actually more like 30.5. Hey, every little bit helps, right?

·
Registered
496 Posts
The Dyno run was corrected to sea level.
I dyno'd it using stock 15" rims and tires, just like Focus Fanatics.
The RPM vs MPH and speed trap radar shows no difference in stock 15" rims with 60 series tires and 17" rims with 45 series tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts