Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I only have 22,300 miles on mine and the rims are now really starting to aggressively peel, its just in between the spokes on the forward facing side on the top half of the rim. Ill let it peel all it wants and then carefully re-prep it for another clear coat and see if that helps or not?. If im really in the right mood ill take it in to a stealership and raise holy hell! [rant]

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
And do what?

These cars came with a 12,000 mile paint warranty that was only good for 12 months for the first owner. Ford has zero responsibility to your painted surfaces after that period.

·
Registered
166 Posts
God forbid the clearcoat peels off of your wheels. The whole car must be a trash heap. Might as well sell it and buy a Toyota if you hate Ford so much now.

I did a close inspection of my wheels today and there is one spot that is starting to peel. Wah wah... Guess I'll start saving up to have them powdercoated.
Just disappointing that they can't even figure out how to paint wheels right... never seen a vehicle have paint loss issues on the wheels like these in such a short time. It's poor QC and a known issue. Customer service is not hoping you get another chance to please your customer, it's about making it right because if you don't you might not get a second chance.

Customer service was when we had a Suzuki that broke an AC compressor 4 weeks after the warranty was up, and with a simple question asking the dealer if there was anything the company they could do, Suzuki paid for half of the entire bill. Why? Because Suzuki knew the compressor in the XL7 was flawed, was a common issue and owned up to it.

The fact all Ford could say was they hope to have another chance to make me happy doesn't cut it when we had a transmission break on a 96 Taurus that was 3-4 years old, and the dealer and company botched their handling of it so bad we decided to never buy another Ford. The Focus was their second chance, and now it needs a fairly expensive fix ($300-400 for paint, $600-700 to replace).

Never once did I suggest the car was otherwise junk; in fact, I'm around cars all the time where I work and there are only one or two other compacts that I would seriously consider are superior to the Focus, but I've also never seen paint issues on wheels on cars two years that haven't been wrecked or refinished. End of the day, it's the second recent Ford I've been around in the last 12 years that's had a fairly expensive issue and I think it's fair say I'm not impressed by how they back their product and won't give them another chance

However, I do agree complaining to the dealer won't help. Dealer has very little power dealing with warranty claims.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If it's just clear coat, you can just buy a can of automotive clear coat ...

I have seen a lot of people do that to peeling clear coat on hoods and roofs in the American west. Does wonders.

I will be throwing more clear coat on the rockers in order to keep them from chipping and rotting out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya mine did this too within like the first year. Took to ford said nothing they could do about it normal wear and tear... so just sprayed them over in black paint couldn't even tell the peeling for like 6 months now the clear coats going more and taking the spray paint too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have the same problem on my 17 inch rims. So if one was to buy some cans of clear how's the process of sanding, prepping and painting go and materials needed?

Thanks!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Have the same problem on my 17 inch rims. So if one was to buy some cans of clear how's the process of sanding, prepping and painting go and materials needed?

Thanks!
I'd use aircraft paint stripper vs sanding as it looks tedious sanding between the spokes. Or possibly bead blast them w/ out damaging the surface. I'd price out how much to powder coat them vs painting to give you a idea.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a paint that will not chip with physical stress like gravel hitting it, and anybody that thinks otherwise I would have to question his schooling..........I say that after driving countless vehicles offroad.

Any aluminum part first polished then painted and it's worse, I used to paint lots of parts like that too. The less tooth the surface painted has the less the bite the paint has on the base and then it comes off much easier, any argument with that and you are now arguing with the physics teacher.................

And, if your local rain is acid in content you can count on the clear messing up anyway.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If you wanna fix the factory 17's you should just have them powdercoated. It's the most effective solution that doesn't end up with you rolling on plasti-dip or rattle can paint jobs...

Or go aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
If you wanna fix the factory 17's you should just have them powdercoated. It's the most effective solution that doesn't end up with you rolling on plasti-dip or rattle can paint jobs...

Or go aftermarket.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Thanks!
I started it and gave up. There are lots of youtube videos on how to paint wheels and fix minor curb rash and get a nice smooth result. I think the problem with ours is the peeling clearcoat, and unless you strip all that off first, it's only going to eventually peel underneath whatever coating you put on top of it. Most youtube videos leave the clearcoat intact and do a light sanding and put another coating over it.

I only had a limited amount of time to get the job done, and after Day 1 I realized it was going to take a TON of time to achieve the kind of result I'd be satisfied with. I'd say one big issue is the spokes. Most youtubers have 5 spoke wheels and more flat surfaces. Ours are tremendously time consuming because of all the spokes. If you have your own garage/space and time to do the job, as well as a 2nd set of wheels so you can use your car, and a helper to chip in time consuming labor, more power to you. I didn't have all that. I budgeted a 3 day weekend, with the car on stands, and realized that probably wasn't going to happen with the stripping required, time between coats, multiple coats, etc. If you are less anal than me (most people are) you might be able to do the job.

Me, I ended up just buying a set of reconditioned rims off rockauto, and sold the partly-stripped rims to a guy on this forum, who met me locally. An don't you know, the new rims were only on the car 1 week and I did a bad parallel parking job and scraped on of them bad :-( !

·
Registered
25 Posts
A potential cause is the chems your department of transportation uses to clear the roads in bad weather. Our DOT uses magnesium chloride, which is pure hell on the clear coat. DupliColor makes a spray can clear coat that works fairly well for me; you can get it at Advance Auto. Another option if you really want it done right is to contact a local wheel remanufacturer. Here we have several, one is LKQ Corp, which has branches all over the country. They will take the wheel all the way down, prep it the right way, refinish and re-clear the wheel. Cost is $75-$120 per wheel (here). Hope this helps.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts